Tuesday, October 28, 2008

gift yarn

I'm a very lucky knitter. I have great friends that gift me with wonderful yarn every now and then. Usually sock yarn, which is my favourite, as you can get some wonderful yarns without breaking the bank for a sweater's worth, as well, you can experiment with colour combos that may not necessarily work elsewhere.
Here are a couple of my most favourite gift yarns. The autumn coloured sock is Trekking (colour unavailable at this time) gifted to me from LuckyCanuck a year or so ago. Love it. And my husband loves it so much that he had decided before I even started these socks that they would be for him. The one issue "he-of-the-need-for-matching" might have is the complete and utter unmatchability of Trekking. Because it's a three ply marled yarn, there is not pattern repeat. He says he's okay with this. We'll see...
The green and blue below is Opal - one of the Kaffe Fassett colourways, gifted to my by Helga. These are all mine! They are the colours I would choose, and I love the way it's knitting up. It's one of those yarns that you want to keep going to see what comes next.
These are my current travel projects - one always seems to be at a "thinking" part of the construction - the toe, the heel, the ribbing, so I always try to keep another at the straight round and round no brainer part of the knitting for times when I need to pay attention to something else.

3 comments:

Needles said...

I was thinking of you just the other day. The store did a bead knitting workshop, and one of the ladies who took it has been back several times since, picking up more beads and thread supplies.

I admit to giggling (but only a little) when she tried to explain the compulsion.

One of these days I am going to have to try some Opal. Love those colours.

Carol said...

The Opal is mesmerizing. Must...buy...some...

Anonymous said...

hi sandra,
i am glad that you love the colours,they are totally captivating!
very interesting to see you do them toe-up, i am a top-down girl myself. i hope you will continue to post pictures.
the colours however are not kaffe fasset, but according to the austrian artist "hundertwasser".
sock knitting is the best. so satisfying and so portable.
happy knitting!
helga