Wednesday, October 08, 2008

...and a collective GASP! arose from the room...


This is a sweater I knit years ago. It's from the Best of Lopi Book (Sigridur, I believe is the pattern name), and it's made with Lopi yarn. The thick stuff. I do love this sweater, but I don't wear it that often, as it's incredibly warm, and it's a pullover. I tend to wear pullovers indoors, and this is not an indoor sweater. Seriously, if my oven dies this weekend, I'm roasting the turkey in this sweater, that's how warm it is.

But, because of the warmth, and the fact that it is a pullover, it doesn't get a lot of wear. Now, if it were a cardigan, different story. I'm sure I'd wear it more often.

So, I'm going to make it a cardigan. Easy, right? A couple of rows of machine stitches, some sharp scissors, the extra yarn I found for some small front bands, some clasps (I don't think I want buttons), and it's golden.

So last night at our Guild meeting, I had brought the sweater to get the advice of Elizabeth or Tove, both experienced steekers (I've never cut one, myself). So I mention this to the crowd - that I'm going to cut this sweater. The audible GASP! from around the room was the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

But, there will be a delay. I've been convinced by the Guild members to wait until our November meeting and cut this baby open in front of everyone. I said I would try to wait, but now I'm ready to do this. I really want to wear this sweater, and the idea of waiting a month may kill me. (If my overwhelming tiredness doesn't get me first - seriously, I'm wiped.) I don't know what's going on, but I haven't been sleeping well, and added to a ridiculously busy few days, I'm not very coherent these days. I hoping to become invisible at work, so I can just work through a pile of paper on my desk before the long weekend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're ready to cut - go for it!

One of the Audible Gaspers

Saren Johnson said...

That is a lovely sweater, and it does deserve to be worn. I think steeking it will be a wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

You will love the opportunity to wear this sweater when it is in its' new life form. I agree that those pewter frog closures are a better idea than buttons. You can
just fold over the cut edge of the steeking and sew on the frogs. (The cut edge will not fray so it doesn't need a doubling over--that would be too thick, I think) There will be a slight gap in front which is more comfortable for a cardigan. You may even decide to just put a couple of frogs at the yoke and leave the rest "open".
Please, please get a complete physical soon, okay? Just saying.
Marlyce in Windsor.

Carol said...

and film it so we can see too!

Anonymous said...

THAT'S what I could do with the Lopi sweater my mom knit my brother in the 70's; he handed it down to me when the shoulders came out too tight. Good luck, I can't wait to see how it goes (you go first. No you go first. After you! No, you!)

Anonymous said...

just go ahead and cut it! no big deal! this lopi yarn isn't going to go anywhere.
since this is your first CUT you might take a teensy,weensy glass of red wine to accompany the deed.
pick up stitches from the cut edge and knit a "hem", fold it over the cut and that's it. as i said no big deal.
but yes, do document the procedure and let us in on it.
good luck,
helga

Sel and Poivre said...

That is a brilliant idea! 'Can't wait to see the results.