Thursday, September 25, 2008

state of the knitting

Kauni is motoring along:
The body is done - hem stitches are on a thread, and the sleeves are started. The funny line up the middle is where the steek will be - I made it 13 stitches wide, which is larger than it needs to be, but since it's my first one, I didn't have a problem with a little added insurance. (I know it won't ravel when I cut it. I know that. I just, maybe, well, possibly don't quite believe it...)A close up of the hem - the purl row is the turning row for the faced hem, The blue/green area is the faced hem, which is currently live stitches on a thread, waiting to be sewn down once the steek is cut and the front bands are on. The hem is a simple 2x2 checkerboard of colour. I started with a 3x3 checkerboard, but the proportions didn't look right, and I think the 2x2 works well

Socks are motoring along:
(oops! there should be a picture here of 2 pairs of socks - both in the final lap - each needs about 2 inches of leg to finish on the second sock) Alpaca sock for my father in law, and Eliza hand-dyed for my nephew, or husband.

Beads are being strung and knit up:

(another oops! I forgot to take a picture of some vibrant red coral stones ready to become a bracelet, along with some crystal seed beads and some other seed beads waiting to become amulet bags and chokers.

Yes, that can only mean that we are in the throes of Christmas knitting! (Except for Kauni. She's all mine. No one is wheedling her from me, unless it looks like crap on once finished. And even then, I'd probably hang it on the wall rather than give it away...)
ETA - it fits, and I don't think it looks like crap. I can't wait to wear this with a black top and pants, or jeans and a t-shirt, or well, just about anything. I truly love it.

6 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Oh my, what a lovely sweater. The bracelet sounds bright. Can't wait to see it.

Carol said...

kauni is lovely.

Ack! Christmas knittig?????! Oh noes...

CatBookMom said...

The Kauni is stunningly beautiful. Everyone who sees this will be drooling at the gorgeous color changes.

Anonymous said...

Kauni-eet be long now? Soon you will be in its arms.

Anonymous said...

the checkerboard hem works well. don't you think?
great work!
helga

Anonymous said...

Ooooooooooooohhhhh! Niiiiiiiiiice.