Friday, September 05, 2008

knitting to help...

My latest project is one I am so pleased to be able to knit, yet one I wish I didn't have to. A friend, and fellow Guild member Joan, has recently told us that her husband is terminally ill. Not something you ever want to hear. They are in the process of moving from Barrie to Richmond Hill - he wants to be closer to the hospital where he is receiving treatment, and most importantly to him, he wants Joan to be closer to their kids - son in Richmond Hill, daughter in Aurora. There's so much we all want to do to help, but we don't want to overwhelm. Once they're moved, I'll make some dinners that can be frozen and reheated easily and bring them by. But in the meantime, we're knitting a hug. Each of the Guild members is knitting a strip and Jo-Anne has offered to sew them together to make a blanket. Each strip is to be the knitter's wingspan - a hugs length, so to speak. It's kind of silent way to show them we are thinking of them. I wish I could do more, but to be honest, I wish there wasn't even a need for this. Joan doesn't have a computer, so I know I'm not spoiling the surprise for her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's husband.

This is the first I've ever read of a knitted hug. What a beautiful idea--such a lovely gift for your friend.

Sel and Poivre said...

Its a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend and her husband!

Philosophical Karen said...

You're right that is something you never want to hear. A knitted hug sounds like just the thing for the situation while you are waiting to help in other ways.

Carol said...

Yup, this is not something you want to hear. But, having heard it, what a great idea to knit a hug!

deirdre said...

Such sad news, but what a lovely thought for your friend and her family...

bet you'd rather have nothing to blog again...

Anonymous said...

wingspan=hugs length=knitted hug
what a very nice way of putting it.
what colour are you using?
have a good weekend,
helga

Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to think of your special blanket. You may want to check out the Prayer Shawl Ministry website: shawlministry.com It sounds like you are thinking along the same lines.

I am sure your friend will be blessed by your special project.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to them, and thank you to everybody who's helping them.

My knitting group recently did a blanket like that, and then the strips were sewn with the center points matching and letting the lengths fall where they might to both sides. It keeps the idea of many hugs' widths very visible.