Monday, September 29, 2008

a somewhat productive weekend (for some of us...)

I love it when my son's basketball season gets started. His games are Saturday mornings, either 9am or 10am, and while I love the sleeping in thing, getting up and going for a morning event means we are home, dressed and ready well before our usual weekend morning. Which, for me, translates into getting a lot of stuff done. For my husband, it translates into a nap on the couch, but hey, to each his own...

I got stuff done. I got shopping done, picking up odds and ends that always seem to slip through the cracks. I got knitting done, beading done and reading done. We had a friend for dinner of Saturday, and enjoyed an amazing planked salmon, with enough to send her home with some and have some on Sunday in am omelet.

I also got me a new toy: yep, I got a bead spinner - I didn't think I would need this, as I always thought I would tire of the tiny needle bead knitting and such, but no such luck - I'm still continually enthralled by it, so I broke down. Man, does this make life easy! I strung 7 lengths of beads - each about 60cm in length in NO TIME AT ALL! What did I need this for, you may ask? Well, I've been making jewellery (simple stuff) that's not always knitted. This pendant is a series of glass circles - a sterling square link, and the beads, a lobster clasp - and voila! a Christmas gift for someone. I have a lot more pendants (and a large female CHristmas list) that would look great done like this - hence the need for the bead spinner...
I'm still knitting jewellery - the bracelets I make with stone beads continue to be popular. I'm loving this red coral one - so much so, that I may have to get more of these beads and keep one for myself...
All in all, a pretty good weekend - add in a bunch of bike rides (Sunday was stellar - weather wise - Son and I rode all over, in shorts no less, getting a bunch of errands done, and some time spent outside, chatting with friends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the bead spinner is a great choice for you! Good on ya!

Needles said...

I love the red coral. Everyone needs a little red in their lives.

Sel and Poivre said...

I had to go to You Tube to see a spinner in action. What a great gadget! I love the circular pendant!

katrynka said...

I agree about how painful it is to get up early on the weekend (7 or 7:30 which is still later than during the week!). But the day does last longer and feel so much more productive!

Carol said...

Ha! You lied. You do too spin. Beads, but it is still spinning.....(yes, I know what a bead spinner is, my girlfriend owns a bead shop, remember?)

Amazing how much easier the right tools for a job make the job, eh?

TracyKM said...

When I saw the first photo, I thought it was a drop spindle!!! When is that starting? LOL.