Monday, September 08, 2008

knitting and sewing, and a pretty good Canadian!

A strange weekend - It doesn't feel like I did anything, but sitting down on Sunday night and looking back, it seems like I did:

This is the blanket strip - the "knitted hug" so to speak. It's a lovely brown, Cara Mia by Needful yarns - a 100% merino, soft and squooshy, and perfect for this. I'm almost done - probably another 40cm or so. It's a "Joan" colour - autumny and rich. I hope she likes it.

I also did some sewing, in anticipation of Christmas. My husband likes short pajamas - not t-shirts, not knitted. Shorts, short sleeve buttoned top - no collar, no lapel, woven cotton blend. Yeah, try finding those. Not easy I tell ya! Every year when I'm in Florida, I look, and most years I'm lucky to find 1 pair. This year, I decided to take the bull by the horns and make him some. This way, I choose the fabric (100% cotton - no blends), and I have a few presents ready to go. I just need to get some buttons and we're done with these.

You may notice that piece of newspaper lying there. Last night, the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) ran a show called Test the Nation - it was a quiz about Canada. They had teams in studio, and had the country playing along on line or by themselves. We decided against the online version, since the computer and TV aren't in the same vicinity, but I have to say, I'm a proud Canadian! 40 out of 50 - well above the national average! (I can't believe I thought a young Mike Myers was a young Rick Moranis, but whatever...) The show itself was a bit lame - they were trying too hard to be funny, but still - a good primer on Canada and Canadiana. The in studio team that won? A team of Americans living in Canada! Who Knew?

And, we're in Kitchener Knitter's Fair countdown - this Saturday a busload of knitters from the Barrie and York Guilds will descend upon Bingemans in Kitchener, and buy up hordes of yarn none of us need. I'm meeting Lucky there, and we'll have our traditional picnic lunch. I'll be carrying my yellow "I KNIT" messenger bag, so if you see me, say hi. Or not. I won't be offended. Who wants to bet I find Stephanie and Rachel H in the bead booth again...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You probably still have time to get your money back - Amanda & I are coming on the bus!!!

Needles said...

I love the Hug blanket. Please knit in a little wish for peace and ease from me.

As to yarn...I could go on and on and on.

Sel and Poivre said...

Over the years I've found custom made PJs sewed to the wearer's exacting specs to be the most enthusiastically received gift I can make. 'Sounds like yours are going to be perfect!

Your piece of "hug" looks exactly "right" as well!

Carol said...

I'm working htis weekend. Crap. Oh well there's next year. And the bead thing? No bet. I like to keep my money, thankyouverymuch!

CatBookMom said...

Have a terrific time at Kitchener! Be sure to fondle some great yarn in my place.