Wednesday, September 17, 2008

priorities

So what does everyone think I started doing? Knitting? Weaving? Something new from the Knitter's Fair haul? Stash Yarn? Existing projects?

Can I even bear to look at wool, considering how much is in my house, and how much I added?

Anyone? Bueller?

I'll take pictures tonight, promise...

In the meantime, life continues on. My son starts basketball practice this week, the next level of swimming starts up, his additional school programme that we decided on with him also starts this week, so he'll be riding a school bus to school for the first time, and we had to get that all organized.

I had lunch with a friend of mine the other day. She's married, and they don't have kids (her husband is WAYYYYY too selfish to ever have kids.) I was explaining all this when she asked what was going on. She sat back and said "Why do you do all this? You're overdue for a haircut, you never get your nails done. When was the last time you were at the spa? You spend too much time on your kid, and not enough on yourself". Now I'm starting to think that both of them are too selfish to ever have kids, and thankfully they came to that decision before they had one. It's all about priorities. Personally, I can't do the spa more than once a year - bores me. I know I need a haircut. It has to be on a Saturday, because there is not enough time during the week. Hubby is lucky if he arrives home before 7:30pm or so. But lately, Saturdays have been busy - either the cottage, the Knitter's Fair, or other events have conspired to keep me from the salon. So should I have bagged the Knitter's Fair for a hair cut? No, that's not my priority. And when we chose to have a child, we chose to put his interests in the forefront, for the most part. I think most parents do this. I can't be the only one whose non-parent friends get all out of sorts when things get cancelled or moved around to allow for kid activities.

It's all about the lifestyle choice. It's not like my family situation was thrust upon me without notice. I knew when I married this guy, that he worked late, pretty much all the time. He owns the business, so it's an investment in the future. I have adapted to that, and before our son was born, ate dinner late with him. Now? Not so much. I make dinner, eat, and get on with the evening's activities - whether inside or outside the home. Hubby gets a plate left for him, and he eats when he gets home. Ideal? Not by a long shot. But it's what works for us, right now. Even his parents seem a little shocked. His dad called the other night around 7:30pm.When I mentioned that he wasn't home, his Dad was all, "But it's 7:30! What are you doing about dinner?" I just laughed and said "Your life. My life. Two different things."

And, an aside - I never call my husband "Hubby" and I'm pretty sure I don't even like the term. I need to give him a psuedonym here, as I don't use his real name. I should come up with one for my son as well, I guess. Today is probably not a good day to come up with one, as they both pissed me off this morning, and dumping "shithead" on the husband and "lazyass child" on the kid isn't good. Maybe I'll wait until I think better of them...

7 comments:

Needles said...

I'm not sure it was the correct thing to do, but I laughed out loud at their names o' the day. Not really fair of me at all.

Saren Johnson said...

Son: Slugger
Husband: Mr Wonderful; "Al" (Married with Children)

Did you take up painting?!

CatBookMom said...

My DH is usually not home until 7 or later, either; and he's off to work before 6am. I've adapted; we at least eat dinner together and watch a bit of TV or catch up on the reading before he toddles off to bed. Together time is limited to the weekends.

Personally, I think you've got your priorities right.

Carol said...

I think you nailed it when you said it's a choice. I, personally, chose not to have kids. I have had people who did have kids say to me,"sometimes I wonder what life would have been like without them".

I have to say that one of the reasons (not the only one, but I am not getting on my soapbox here.) that we decided not to have kids is the sheer amount of work. hats off to ya!

and no, no way should you have bagged the Knitter's Fair. Just put your hat on and go! Sheesh, how could you have contemplated that?

Philosophical Karen said...

I don't know anyone like your friend. I'm not even sure I could be friends with a person like that (but that's just me).

I call my husband Mr. Wonderful. I never used the word "hubby" before I started blogging. Now I use it sort of ironically. My son I call "The Boy" (what Homer calls Bart in The Simpsons). But your names for today made me laugh. I have days like that too.

My son did the one-day-a-week program in grade four as well. I remember how crazy that first bus day was.

Anonymous said...

I often refer to the beau as my Studmuffin.

Sel and Poivre said...

Ditto "needles" comment for me on the names of the day. How fabulously refreshing to hear someone stand up for their life choices without trying to tear down anyone elses or be so delusional as to imagine that any one lifestyle is forever when a growing and developing child is involved! From one haircut delinquent and spa-avoider to another - Bravo!