Wednesday, October 10, 2007

weekend recap and a new yarn store

Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. A weekend for cottagers like ourselves to get north and do all the jobs you hoe to avoid. Taking boats out, taking docks out, emptying flower pots, mulching leaves, and generally getting the place ready for winter. Our place is winterized, so we can go up during the snowy months, however, our life doesn't always allow it. Whereas we love it in the winter, our son plays basketball on Saturdays, and that cuts into the weekend too much. My BIL and his family have the time to go, but SIL is not a fan of the winter cottaging experience.

MIL and FIL don't get up as often as they day they want to - they have their own reasons for this. So, we basically put the place to bed. It's easy to open up again for a weekend, but we don't leave any food or stuff accessible for the critters, and we turn off water, heat etc. Thanksgiving is usually a hard working weekend - braving the icy water to get the dock out, warming frosty hands in front of the fire after composting all the flowers and other such remnants of summer. Then there's 2007. I happily tossed on bathing suit to do the dock work. Okay, maybe not happily, but it made points that I went in, and it got me out of doing dishes for most of the weekend. But I did live in shorts pretty much the entire weekend. The two 8 year old boys were swimming (the 13 year old nephew was too cool for that). It was almost depressing to toss the still blooming flowers into the compost heap.

We didn't drive up until Saturday morning, as Son's cough was still keeping us up at night, and we decided to take one more night at home before subjecting the rest of the family to it. It was a good idea, because he was great for the rest of the weekend. As we were approaching Port Perry, I asked Hubby if her would mind stopping. This would be my only chance to catch Carol of Never Enough Wool while she was open! And Hubby, being the great guy he is, obliged. I got to stop in, see Carol, remind her of our meeting:
in Kitchener, and buy some yummy wool.

Hacho Hand Dyed Merino from Peru. It supports the workers and their children, which is reason enough to buy it, but it's also fabulous, squooshy, incredibly coloured, and destined for socks for me.
Then there was the Luxury Merino Superwash DK. My dancer nephew in Montreal has requested legwarmers in "dirty-limey green". I think I found it.

Since legwarmers are nonstop stockinette stitch - these are destined to be done on the machine, mattress stitched, and hand ribbed. I'm nothing if not lazy...

I also picked up a few things at my Guild meeting last Tuesday. Let's just say Tove had some new things, and they went home with me...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, that Peruvian Merino is luscious. The colours are absolutely incredible. So what did you buy at Tove's? I bought Fiona's new book which is an appropriately gorgeous followup to her first. I especially love the tank top in the "water" section with the tiny mirrors knitted into the hemline.

Nice to have you back - we've missed you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Hacho merino - gorgeous colours!!!!!!!
I'm jealous!
Nancy

P.S. So glad you're back!!

deirdre said...

Me, too, loving the Peruvian merino...

Carol said...

"dirty limey green", eh? Yup, that seems to fit the bill!

Saren Johnson said...

Sounds like you had a great time, even if you did have to work. Hope the child gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

There was a great pattern book at Romni to go with all this Peruvian wool.