Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Still here, still kicking...

I'm here, I'm here. (Nancy was worried). And with everything that's going on, I'd be worried too. Actually, everyone at my office seems to be worried. My ex-boss and I had a great working relationship, and every one here expects me to jump ship any time. Little do they know, given the right oppotunity, I'm going to. But on the outside, I'm all work. I do miss my regular Monday morning meeting with D. He and I would hash out our week, setting our priorities (which always got blown to hell, but still,) and have a chat. Now there's no one I'm comfortable chatting with. One never knows what people are reporting around here.

But I'm here. I still have the head/chest cold that won't go away. Our whole household is sick - Son started it weeks ago, and got better once he gave it to me, but his cough seems to be returning. Husband is sick with the same thing I have. The whole house has a lingering smell of Vicks Vaborub... (and yes, we are putting it on our feet). At least, Son and I are, husband scoffs at such things, but he's the only one coughing at night...

Son is going to the Doctor this afternoon - he generates enough earwax to start a small candle factory, so I need to get the ears flushed. Maybe that's why he doesn't listen to me. Yeah right. He doesn't listen becasue he's 8, and he doesn't want to hear what Mom has to say... I also want to have the Doc give him a general once over before we go away. How often should kids get physicals, anyway? I know as infants they schedule these things regularly, and as adults, well, I go once a year. But what about kids? I mean, he's generally healthy, he's growing as he should (he's taller than most kids in his class, so that seems OK). He's fitting into the general size of clothes for his age, he eats well, and overall, seems OK. So, do you take your kids to the doctor on a regular basis or just when illness strikes?

The other thing about the child's doctor appointment - it's right after school, but during work hours. Oh well, guess who gets to leave early? I mean, he's only 8 - I can't expect him to do this alone now, can I?

On the knitting front, Tubey is continuing along, but now that the fun part of the short rows is over, I get distracted. I finished the Regia Galaxy socks (standard toe up, short row heel mindless knitting socks):
(yay! another Christmas gift done!), and started a pair of fingerless mitts, using some Fleece Artist Kid Silk I found in my stash.
This stuff is deliciously soft, and is knitting up very quickly (my own design, done on the fly, so no pattern link). I have enough to make a few pairs of these, and will probably do so - they make great gifts, and the turquoise is a popular colour choice among my friends. The 2x2 rib really pulls it in, but it fits beautifuuly on the hand - I still have the thumb to finish here. I have some luscious Wellington Fibres skeins as well - I think a few more of these will come of the needles...

Finishing the Galaxy socks meant there was only one pair of socks currently on the needles (Knitpicks Dancing - gift for MIL), and well, we can't have that! So I cast on a new pair, probably for my husband, using some 50% merino, 50% tencel from the Sweet Sheep, in the colourway Coffee Bean. Yum. The tencel blend is lovely so far - I'm hoping this continues as I keep going.
Lots of little projects on the needles, plus Tubey. Sounds about right...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all, kids included, get an annual check up. That way if we ever have to go with other issues our doctor has a better sense of us. We also get flu shots every year so we are all in there for that too.

Anonymous said...

At least socks give you cozy thoughts!

Unknown said...

I hope that you're all feeling better soon! I've never heard of Vicks on feet before - how's that work?

Carol said...

I hate havign to watch every word I say at work. How frustrating for you. Nifty socks, though. That is some consolation, right?