Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tubey again and tagging

Wannietta tagged me, and it's short, so I can do this no problem...

Page 161, 5th line of the book that I'm currently reading.

"Mrs. Etra answered her front door and seemed very uptight and nervous"

- Four Blind Mice, James Patterson.

I'm on a bit of a Patterson jag lately. He cranks 'em out at such a rate, I'm never sure if I've read one when I see it. Libraries are great for this - I check them out, start reading, realize by the third page I've read it before, drop it and grab the next one. (I love his Women's Murder Club series). And yes, I know how he cranks out the books is such numbers - he works with a number of authors who provide the outline of the story, and write with him. But he does give them credit.

As far as Tubey - I'm about halfway through the short rows - I've done 5, and I think 10 (maybe 12) will be enough
You can see here how the slant is starting to form, and how the front will be longer than the back. That orange marker is where the side of the sweater is. It's funny - I always do short row heels on my socks, so this is starting to look like a gigantic heel forming. My one worry might be that the slant may be a little too acute. (High School Geometry, anyone?) If I find that the angle needs to be softened, I can rip these rows out, and space out my wraps and turns a little more. Hopefully, I won't have to do that, but we'll see.


Up close, you can sort of see the wraps on the stitches. You can't? Wait, let me help...

Carol asked how I avoid holes on short rows. I use a double wrap method. I start as above, wrapping a turning each stitch. Then when I go back to pick up the wraps, I pick up the wrap and the stitch, and then I wrap the next stitch again, giving it two wraps to be picked up. This does mean that the first wrap picked up does not get the extra wrap, but that's OK. Wendy has a pretty good description of this method in her short row heel directions on her toe-up generic sock pattern. I've probably got another couple of nights work to get the short rows done, then it's straight K3P1 knitting until it's the length I want. If I wasn't coughing up a lung still, this would be a much faster knit, but this illness is doing a job on me. I'm coughing so much, I've pulled a chest muscle. Lovely. I'm such a joy to be around...

3 comments:

Needles said...

Crap. I thought when I decided to forgo knitting short row heels I was done with the wrap things forever. I see I am not. It does make sense to use the wrap to avoid holes. Good thing I can practise till the yarn comes.

deirdre said...

I am loving Tubey - can't wait to see it on, but it's fun watching it unfold...

and I listen to James Patterson on my Ipod a lot - sort of easy listening but interesting enough to keep my attention...

Carol said...

Next time I shall have to try the double wrap thing. Or maybe, since I am having such a pain of a time deciding on my next project, I shall try an experimental swatch...

Have you tried codeine for the nasty cough? It'll make you sleepy, but it sure stops the cough. You'd have to ask the pharmacist for it, though.