Monday, October 22, 2007

starting to resurface

Man, this cold, or whatever has really taken a toll. I'm still only at about 60%, but that's a far better state than last week. I almost have my voice back - I'm still being mistaken for a man on the phone, but whatever. (and that was by my Father in Law!)

I felt like knitting again, finally, and did a little work on Tubey. I put the stitches on a thread and tried it on. Remember, this is the second edition of the body - the first has way too many stitches. I did a little math, and reduced the stitch count, picked up the stitches, and started knitting. I love it. I think I've hit on the right size. Of course, I'm basing this on about 2 inches of body, so I could be completely off base, but we'll see. One idea I'm going to steal from Emma is short rows. When I saw Emma's Tubey at Kitchener, she mentioned that she put in some short rows around the bustline, and it made the sweater sit better. Well, my girls are a wee bit more substantial than Emma's. so I am DEFINITELY going the short row route. I can already see where it would ride way up if I didn't.
Have I mentioned how much I love these colours?

Tubey has become my TV watching knitting - as long as I remember how to count "Knit 3, Purl 1, it should be fine. Of course, once I start the short rows, I'll be "Knit 1, Purl 3"-ing, so I can see problems. Lace charts? No problem? Cables? Piece of cake. Counting to Three? Now, that might be asking a lot...

One thing I find hard to believe - I only have two pairs of socks on the needles, and both of them are in the hone stretch. These are my "swimming lesson, basketball practice, lunchtime work" knitting, so once I get these two done, there's 2 more Christmas gifts. But I will have to get another pair on the needles shortly. Two is just not enough for me...

The Galaxy socks on the left are for my son's teacher, and the Knitpicks Dancing on the right are for my MIL.

2 comments:

Needles said...

I'm watching you knit this one. I hope that doesn't come across sounding stalkerish, but well, umm, it very well may be. haha

I hope to knit this for SS, gf of son1. SS has the perfect hourglass figure (drat her) so the info on short rows is very valuable. Are you inserting them at the apex of the bustline, how many short rows, etc are my burning questions. If you can post this sort of info or direct me to it, I will grovel at your feet, and bless your name to the net forever.

Carol said...

I love the colours. (still!)I know what you mean about counting to 4....I've had similar problems over such seemingly easy things. I think the "easy" part fools me and I stop thinking at all!