Tuesday, October 23, 2007

ooo, I get to help someone...

Needles of the comments had this to say about Tubey:

"I'm watching you knit this one. I hope that doesn't come across sounding stalkerish, but well, umm, it very well may be. ha ha

I hope to knit this for SS, gf of son1. SS has the perfect hourglass figure (drat her) so the info on short rows is very valuable. Are you inserting them at the apex of the bustline, how many short rows, etc are my burning questions. If you can post this sort of info or direct me to it, I will grovel at your feet, and bless your name to the net forever."

Really, how can I not help my very first stalker??

Needles, I don't have the perfect hourglass figure (although I can dream...) but my girls are, as I said, substantial enough to warrant a little shaping. The way Tubey is constructed, the tube of the body is knit straight down from the shruglike opening of the sleeves. So, picture a shrug. It's basically two sleeves joined together, with an opening for your body to fit in. Picture the lower edge of this opening - all across the back, and across 5-6 inches on each side of the front. Then you add 40ish or so stitches across the opening to bridge the gap, and you have a tube that will become the body. (it's very well described in the Knitty pattern, trust me). The nature of this pick up is that the front bridge part tends to ride up a bit, because the back neck is pulling it naturally. If you knit a straight tube, even without any boobage, your front hem is going to be higher than your back hem. Add in some boobage, and well, that's just not pretty. If you look at the original Knitty pattern, the model is lovely and slim, and not heavily endowed. No short rows necessary. Then there's me. Short rows necessary.

My plan is for the short rows to form a bustline dart of about 2-3 inches in length. This translates to about 12-15 stitches worth of dart, so that's about 12-15 rows in which short rows need to be added. (Note, that I'm winging this - If a 3 inch dart seems to be too much, I'll let you know as I'm ripping). So if the total height of the dart will be 24 rows worth of short rowing, and I want the dart to be centred to about the midline of my bustline, I want to start the short rows about 12 rows above this midline. For me, that's about 3 inches into the body. And guess what? I'm pretty much there, so the short rowing will be commencing this week. I've started the process, and have three wraps on each side so far. And so far, so good.

I'll keep you up to date on the mods as I make them (and possibly un-make and re-make them...) and hopefully that will help. And understand I am not at all taking credit for the short row idea - Emma (I don't know her link - Steph? Rachel H? any ideas? I'd like her to get the credit due) short rowed her Tubey, and it was that sweater that inspired me to make mine.

I really hope this works. I've never had my feet grovelled at before...

2 comments:

Carol said...

Excellent! And if you could gove some tips on how to avoid holes at the end of the short rows, I would appreciate it. The last (also first) time I tried to do short rows for a bust was on Coachella. I ripped back because I didn't wind up needing it. But there were holes at the "join" where the short rows ended and the regular rowing began. Before the frogging of course.

Needles said...

Thank you, thank you. (Insert mental image of Matry Feldman like Igor drooling)Thank you.

I will continue stalki...reading and watching as you work along. Excellent detail and I am very grateful. I read about this Knitty pattern on another blog (though I don't recall whose) and one of the comments was that they were not sure they liked it now that it was finished. I'd bet what you describe is exactly why she said this. I will watch for the link to Emma, Emma I revere you also, so I can attribute properly as I work.

I will now go back into stal..lurk mode.