Thursday, October 18, 2007

blog stats

I was checking my blog stats a while ago. I'm curious as to how many people are actually out there, reading the drivel I write.

It seems I average about 50-80 page loads each day, and this drops a bit on weekends (obviously, since I never seem to write on weekends). But I had a few major surges in traffic. I mean really major. Like in the 600-800 page loads, and one day even topped out around 1,200 loads. Whoa, what happened there? Then I started looking at the dates. Aha! The power of the Harlot raises it's head. Every time Stephanie links to me, people hop over for a look-see. That's kind of cool. And while the majority of them don't stay around long, I seem to gain a few new readers each time.

If you've come over through Stephanie, and have stayed long enough to read this, let me know. I'm glad you're here, and even happier that you've stayed here.

And Steph? Your power scares me. I'm glad you use it for good, not evil...

I guess that brings me to another question. If you didn't get here through Stephanie, how did you find me? I know some of you - Lucky, And CatBookMom through the About Knitting forum, and Nancy, Jen and Helga (and some others) through the Guild, but others, like Carol and Deirdre - how did you get here?

I know I find new blogs to read through links on blogs I already read - and there's a lot of them. I should update my sidebar - it's sadly out of date. And is it only me, or do other people do this? When I find a new blog, I have to go back to the beginning and read the archives, rather than just start at the date I found it. Am I weird? (Or just weirder than I thought?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you through our York Guild. But I don't seem to be able to leave anything but anonymous comments - because it keeps saying I have illegal characters!

Anonymous said...

I found you by clicking on your name on one of your responses on The Yarn Harlot's blog. (Yes, Steph rules!) I've posted comments on her blog a few or more times but this is my 1st comment on yours. I've enjoyed lurking so far!

Carol said...

i really don't remember how I found you. I think (not sure, don't bet the farm on this) that I heard the Harlot was going to your guild to speak and I found your blog that way.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I found you by clicking a link on the Harlot's blog...Stephanie's (wish she would permit us to call her Stephie) blog was the first ever knitting blog I read. I have her to thank for the hours I spend each day traveling the blogosphere :-)
(beverly who isn't really anonymous, but whose computer doesn't seem compatible with Google/Blogger).

Anonymous said...

I think I found you via Lucky. I was looking for news/activity for the area in and around Toronto and when I saw the name of your blog I knew you would likely be Canadian so I gave it a shot.

I do visit other Blogs from the sidebar lists and I used to read the archives but now I find its more efficient to check out the FO gallery - if I'm into their knitting then I go back and read all about it.

Unknown said...

If I find a blog through links & I think that I like it I'll go back through some recent archives to get a better feel for my "new friend".

I have a lot more blogs in my Google Reader than in my sidebar, and I try to update my sidebar every few months. I hate taking blogs off, but sometimes whatever it is that I liked about them has worn off or they're not blogging so much anymore.

deirdre said...

You know, I don't remember where I found you, but I am glad I did - I love seeing what "local" folks are up to -

and I like to go through archives of interesting blogs too, to get to know the authors a little better...

Lynn said...

I got here via Stephanie's blog when she talked about your visit.

When I start reading a new blog I read back through what is not yet archived. I used to start from the very beginning, but found that takes too much time.

I enjoy reading your blog. It's marked in my favorites.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Do I get an Honorable Mention for being your first reader?

katrynka said...

I am not 100% certain, but I think it was when Stephanie talked about her visit with you last year. I am always happy to see when there is a new blog entry from you! One of my top 10! I hope that you feel better quickly, and that the job issue is resolved sooner rather than later.

TracyKM said...

The About.com forum!
Congrats on your surprising assessment!
How do you check how often people look at your blog?!
Love the Shelridge socks!