Friday, October 12, 2007

slowly creeping up on us...

Christmas, that is. (If you celebrate it.) I know some non-Christmas celebrants, but I still like to gift them in December - I feel like you can gift friends at any time of the year, and these friends don't seem to mind being gifted at the end of the year. They get "non-secular, non-religious, just because I like you and it's the end of the year" gifts. Whatever. I just really like giving stuff I've made to people I care about. I don't really need a Holiday for it, but the fact is, Christmas works for me.

Anyway... my list is starting to haunt me. (Haunt. Damn. Must think Hallowe'en first...)

So, the list. It kind of keeps growing. Especially the work people. There are a few people at work that I exchange with (surprisingly enough, NOT the owners...) but people come and go around here at an alarming rate, and some of them are too nice for their own good, and seem to be the type that will gift too many people. So, sucker that I am, will have a few extra bracelets or such wrapped and read for the quick reciprocating gift. Of course, this is all dependent on whether or not I will still be working here in December. I'm hoping not to be, so then it's easy - I will just have a few "Wahoo! I'm outta here, wish you were coming with me!!" gifts to give to some friends.

I do have to say, the kids in the family got a whole lot easier this year. Not only have they quite broadly hinted that gift cards are the way to go, and their parents have added the broad hints along these lines, and as much as I'm not fond of giving gift cards (it always seems like a last minute cop-out to me, even if I've bought them weeks in advance), but my newly refubished Dominion has just added a HUGE display of every gift card you could want. We're talking I-Tunes, Roots, West 49th (for the teens), Bass Pro (for the fisherfolks), Second Cup, Shoppers Drug Mart, and assorted other stores (for the ladies)... I could go on and on. Gift buying while grocery shopping. I can do this without stress.

(You know I'm going to add to my stress and knit gift card bags, or something silly, don't you...)

And... here's the pictures that I should have posted yesterday of the Regia Galaxy yarn. I've already finished one sock for Son's teacher, and I think I will use the brown for a friend of mine.
Oh, and in case you noticed - I have new pets on my sidebar - Sonic the Hedgehog (hey, I used to work for Sega...) and Swinger the Monkey. If you click on them, they will play with you. You can even feed them by clicking on the MORE button. I chose Sonic because of the Sega connection (Boy, do I wish they were still in Canada - that was the BEST job I had...), and Swinger because my Son is enamoured with monkeys. (and Penguins. go figure).
Looking forward to the weekend - Son has a basketball game on Saturday morning, and other than that, we have nothing planned. (Except maybe some job hunting for me, but that's a constant in my life these days.) Enjoy the weekend - see you Monday!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Actually, gift cards are very nice presents to get. And soooo easy to give. My MIL thinks they are cop-outs, but actually, what do you get the woman with everything? (like my MIL) I like getting them.

How did the review at work go?

Cindy G said...

Love the Regia colorways! I, too, thought the gift cards were a cop out until my daughter hit her teens. I quickly realized they were her favorite gifts (and spared Grandma the agony of trying to shop in some funky boutique whose very existance irritated her).

Anonymous said...

That Galaxy knits up quite nice, next meeting I think I might need/want some.