Thursday, October 11, 2007

new yarn, and a great new book

Last Tuesday was our Guild meeting, and we had Maureen Mason-Jamieson as our guest speaker. Always a pleasure, as she shows her new patterns, and the knitted up samples of such. It's so much nicer to buy patterns when you can see the items already knitted up. I bought some... but one was for Lucky! really! they're not all for me...

I also bought some new sock yarn, because of course, I wanted it. I have no need for sock yarn, but need and want are two completely different things, especially when it comes to sock yarn. Regia Galaxy. It knits up into planet-y like patterns, and my son's teacher is big into astronomy, and he takes the class (with parents) stargazing a few times a year. How cool is that? So that would explain the blue yarn. The brown and the beige just decided to come live at my house on their own. (Yes, I did pay for them!) Of course, here is where I would insert a picture of the yarn I just described. Yeah, that would be a good idea. Maybe once my brain gets back to full speed, I'll remember to do that.

But my best purchase? Fiona's new book. Inspired Fair Isle Knits: 20 Creative Designs Inspired by the Elements. We saw a black and white draft of this book when Fiona came to Stephanie's talk in August, and I vowed then and there that I would buy it when it came out. I have her Inspired Cable Knits book, and I tell ya, these books are not just pattern books. These are coffee table books - full of wonderful photography, inspired (get it?) writings, and explanations of the design process. Fiona is genius. Seriously. Get this book.

And I realized that I didn't show you the knitting project bags I sewed up last week.
Can you see the pattern on the fabric? It's balls of yarn, skeins of yarn or a representation of knitted fabric. So very cute! I found these through Linda of our Guild. On the bus back from Kitchener, she held up this package of fat quarters quilting fabric, printed with all these yarn and knitting designs. Hello? How did I miss this? I found out where she bought it (Ruti's Needlebed), and where they are located (Mississauga). Excellent - Mom lives in Mississauga. One phone call to Mom, and she was off on a road trip. (Mom's a knitter, and she taught me to sew, so she understood my Need Factor for this stuff). She grabbed me three bundles of the fat quarters, and had high praise for Ruti's shop. It seems that this fabric is also sold by the metre, so it looks like there might be a road trip the next time I'm down visiting Mom... The bags are square bottomed, and just big enough to hold a small project like socks, scarf, mitts. I've promised one to Joan T of our Guild. Joan doesn't knit socks. She hates knitting socks. With a passion that runs deep, she hates knitting socks. I told her if she knits socks, she gets a bag. Joan may be knitting a sock this month...

3 comments:

Carol said...

Betcha Joan just casts on for the sock and then rips after she gets the bag....

Anonymous said...

Wow, check out that fabric with the skeins on it!!! Your dpn holder is amazing. It's so tidy-looking. I aim to have my sewing look like that, and all lined and fun stuff too.

Oh, and Need vs. Want. Remember, if we only bought what we needed, we'd have one skirt, two pair of pants, one pair of shoes and boots, some undies, one coat, one sofa, one table and a few chairs. That's all we'd have. No fun in that!

TracyKM said...

Did you have a pattern for the DPN holder? I made one a few years ago and had no idea how something like that should go together. I think it has twice the number of seams as it should have. It's serviceable, but I'd love to make another one!