Friday, June 29, 2007

long weekend!

Yes, as of end-of-day today, we are outta here! This is a much needed 3 day weekend - Hubby has been working very long hours, and has a long summer ahead of him with major projects. I am frazzled. Between the crap that is known as work, and trying to do it all at home, and the best part - my MIL overly concerned about the state of my marriage! Because Hubby is not getting home before 8 or 9 (or later) at night, we haven't seen a lot of each other - a few minutes here and there to get caught up and trade essential info. This is not new to us, and we make it work. It's also reasonably short term, and he more than makes up for it on weekends, especially at the cottage. But MIL thinks that maybe all is not good.We've been having this issue since I put the Christmas lights up by myself (this entails using an extremely high ladder). She thinks I think I don't need Hubby around.
Now, I love this woman with all my heart. She is the total antithesis of all the MIL jokes. She's a loving, caring woman who welcomed me whole-heartedly into her family. (She probably would have preferred us to have more kids, and for me not to work, but these are small things.)
But, her feelings that I am not capable of doing things without Hubby tend to tick me off a touch. I can mow a lawn (and often do). I can do all the things around the house that she assumes are "man things". I mean, in the 15 years we've been married, I can easily count the number of nights that Hubby has arrived home before 7pm, without going too high into the double digits. I knew this would be our life before I agreed to it. What I don't need is someone pitying me because of it.
Hubby's idea of how to really make it interesting? (Remember, this is HIS mother.) Leave some business cards lying around from a divorce attorney. Just to see what she says. (Practical jokes run rampant in his family). I won't let him do it. What is she actually thinks this is a good idea??

A very Happy Canada Day to you! And a Happy Fourth of July to you as well? Not in North America? (One, I'm shocked that you are reading this, so please leave me a comment and tell me how you got here, and second, just enjoy the beginning of July - it's a fine time of year...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thankfully I don't have a MIL putting forth opinions on our domestic arrangements, but I know how it is to be an almost single parent 5 days a week! I've gotten used to his late schedules and have learned that I can do a lot for myself (especially when he's on business trips), but he always comes home & he's here for me when I need him.

P.S. I think that the divorce lawyer cards would be hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

My dad has worked up north since 1989 and commutes home to Toronto on weekends, so my parents are apart pretty much 5 out of 7 days a week. I think it's made them enjoy each other more that way. My dad's mom thought it was just awful that they did that, not that it was any of her business.

Carol said...

I guess it's a generation gap thing. My MIl seems to be put out by the fact that I am the primary breadwinner, not her son. Not that she contributed anything to help him get a high paying job...so he's a musician and I am the regular paycheque person in the family.

Saren Johnson said...

You're right the cards wouldn't help much. Type up fake divorce papers and leave those laying around.

TracyKM said...

My MIL is a pretty good one too, and I am also dealing with an absentee husband. However, mine has serious attitude/priority problems and I don't think the business cards would be fake in this house.