Tuesday, June 26, 2007

mmmm, more yarn...

At last! My Knit Picks order arrived on my doorstep! You know what? The deliciousness of the yarn and needles more than made up for the length of time it took to arrive. I am very happy.
Of course, I ordered sock yarn and lace weight - things that are in Such Short Demand, chez Curlerchik. (Did the sarcasm come through, there? I hope so. We are drowning in sock and lace weight yarn around here...)
Knitpicks Shadow in Campfire colourway - 3 skeins, 440 yards each. 100% merino, and destined for a shawl of some sort.
2 skeins of Gossamer - Trail colourway100% merino - 440 yards each. Not sure what to do with this - I'll be perusing my lace books shortly...Dancing sock yarn in Hula and Rumba colourways - cotton, wool, nylon and elastic blend. I'm thinking Mom and MIL socks here...
Memories 100% merino sock yarn - 2 skeins in Redwood Forest, 2 of Hawaii and 2 of S'mores. (I already have 2 of the S'mores. Not sure what I was thinking there...)

And the needles - circs and dpns for sock knitting. I find in the summer, my sock yarn tends to stick to my beloved bamboo needles, and it slows me down. I thought I'd try these - I use 2 circs for my Turkish Toe cast on, and switch to dpns for the sock. (yes, I know how to knit socks on two circs, but I choose not to...)
I cast on a new sock last night - you know, just as a test... Can I say something? These are wonderful. The circs are brilliant, with the best cord and join I've seen. The dpns are heavy, but that doesn't bother me. The yarn slides smoothly along. I will definitely buy these again.

On another, completely non-knitting note - my allergies have kicked my ass this year. I had a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago, and the seasonal allergies have just kept up. I sound like Mae West after a carton of smokes and a bottle of scotch, and I'm not even getting the fun of the smokes and scotch! My eyes water all the time, and you DON'T want me to discuss the output from my nose. Really, you don't.
I'm hoping a long weekend north may help - get me away from the smog and such. To be honest, 3 days at the cottage may not help my allergies, but they will do wonders for me! I can't wait to go! Then, immediately after that, we have our Guild meeting on Tuesday July 3rd. Elizabeth, I hope you are coming - I have a couple of things to show you...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought an Addi Lace needle for the FT Hydrangea scarf & I love it. Have you tried them? How would you rank the KnitPicks circular against the Addi Lace?

Sandra said...

Wannietta,
I haven't tried the Addi Lace needles yet - next on the list. But I do like the KP ones - nice sharp point, great join, wonderful flexible cord that does not need to be relaxed before using.

Carol said...

So, how long in total was the shipping? I too am Canadaian and curious...Nice haul, even if you are drowning in it! what a great way to go. As for the allergies, the obvious is a non-sedating antihistamine like Reactine. Another, less obvious is the NeilMed sinus rinse kit. Sounds groww, but I tried it a while back when I was having sinus probs and wow, did it work. took 3-4 days, but jeez...the results...

Anonymous said...

Man, what a haul! Nice!!! Oh, I can just picture the joy of diving into that big ol' box. Mmmmm..

As Mae West said, "Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands."

Anonymous said...

sorry Sandra can't be there
but I am working this week
wed-fri.same next week , same next week , same next week you get the picture.

Anonymous said...

I just completed "Print O'the Wave" stole--free pattern on Eunny Jang's blog. I believe it's adapted from historical shetland patterns. I used Gossamer in the sunrise colourway. It is beautiful. I think it might have been even prettier in a solid colour, but the variegated pinks and blues are lovely. It must have been wonderful to open that box and get all those goodies. Of course you have to buy lots of yarn to amortize the cost of shipping. Glad you like the KnitPicks Options for lace knitting. I'm waiting for the Additurbo lace needles to arrive at my LYS.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario