Wednesday, November 05, 2008

how to plan a super fun day...

Start with a doctor's appointment for a full physical - strip naked, put on the lovely gown and get poked and prodded where no one should like getting poked and prodded. On top of it, add in a flu shot, because, well, what's a doctor visit without getting jabbed with a needle?

Then off to renew driver's license and car license. Drop cash for tiny sticker that lets me keep my car on the road, and have the world's worst picture taken - "we're just like passports now. Take off your glasses and no smiling. Stand there and focus here." Okay lady, you made me take off my glasses -stand WHERE and focus on WHAT? I just know I'm gonna love this picture...

Next off to the tire place to drop a ton of cash on new winter tires on a November day that's so warm that not only are we breaking weather records, I'm jacketless, and wearing capris, while sitting outside. The irony of getting WINTER tires on a day like this is not lost on me...

There was a high point - while sitting in the doctor's office and knitting a sock, a woman comes over and says "Trekking?" (It was.) We have a short conversation on the merits of top down vs. toe up sock construction before I get called into my appointment. She's gone when I come out, otherwise I would have invited her to the Guild meeting that night.

Before the meeting, I have my son's basketball practice, dinner prep, and actually sitting at the computer to write part of this and do some work I brought home as well. Get son fed and to practice, meet husband there, go to Guild. Slice up my Lopi sweater, to the anticipated gasps from those watching, and realize that by doing this, I've just created more knitting for myself (not really a bad thing). Come home and see who wins the American election (American readers, please tell me you voted!), realize that no matter who wins, I don't really like any politicians, whether they be American or Canadian, and go to bed.

Realize as I'm falling asleep that I promised documentation of cutting my sweater. I have the pictures, I have the cut sweater. I just ran out of time to write the post - tomorrow for sure!

5 comments:

deirdre said...

No question - you definitely know how to live...

Carol said...

Sounds like one of my regular days off. Mostly anyway. All errand running and no fun. Blech.

Saren Johnson said...

Ohh fun. Wish I could spend days like that. Oh wait I have.

Yes I did vote. And so did several of the people I work with. In fact, most of them called in late because of long lines. (Not where I live, but on the East coast completely different story.)

CatBookMom said...

Voted early by mail-in; great way to do it. Went to the podiatrist yesterday to scope out bunion surgery costs in 2009. I took my knitting and found that he's an avid crocheter, needlepointer and embroiderer. ;D We discussed shoulder and wrist problems more than we did the feet, lol! Then spent the day knitting and waiting till after 5 for election results. Loved the MSNBC online map, information without talking heads.

I am chuffed that we've made a giant step forward in electing an African-American. But I am heart-sick that Prop 8 (no single-sex marriage) carried here in Calif, largely IMO due to scare tactics and hysteria.

Sorry I can't get you tires at my favorite shop - they've got terrific service and warranties and always reasonably priced. Snow tires are always $$, plus the debate about 2 sets of rims or not.

Sel and Poivre said...

Can't wait to see the cutting!