Monday, November 10, 2008

cool Christmas decorations

I hope Monika doesn't mind me posting this. She made these to decorate their booth at the Creativ Festival, and brought them to the Guild meeting to show them. They are so cool, I just had to show them - I'm so going to do this...
Some were done with chunky yarn, simply wrapped around a cone and topped with either a crocheted ball, or a gathered icord star-like thing. Some were done with i-cord wrapped around the cone - Monika has one of those i-cord makers that crank out miles of i-cord in seconds. And, surprisingly enough I, the queen of all things gadgety, have one as well. (seriously, you should see my kitchen - I love the gadgets...) Since i have a stash of yarn bits and pieces, and green is my favourite colour, I'm pretty sure I will be able to zip up a few of these. The only difference is that I may have to buy Styrofoam cones - Monika, a prolific machine knitter, has all kinds of yarn cones to choose from...


What better Christmas decoration for a knitter's house?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Styrofoam cones are so easy to work with - we pin rows of wrapped candy to them to make Christmas trees.*

There's a gadget for i-cords?! Why didn't I know this? Where do I find such a thing?

*buy extra candy to fill in the inevitable spaces.

deirdre said...

I love these, just love them! And really? You have an i-cord maker?? Once again, you have achieved hero status in my book...

Carol said...

I'm going to forward htis to my sister. She likes the easy crafty things too!

Monika said...

Only the 3 smallest ones are actual cones from yarn. The three larger ones are styrofoam. I wrapped them in green fabric first, so that the white doesn't show through the wrapping.
It was not a totally original idea. If you are on "Ravelry" you can view the original here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/samro/icord-christmas-tree