Thursday, November 13, 2008

the finished steek

So, after the cut, there was some work to do. Not much as it turned out. I picked up the stitches along the front - 3 stitches for every 4 rows. Did three rows of reverse stockinette stitch, and cast off. Makes for a nice, curled edge. Then, to finish off the inside, I wanted to sew in some grosgrain ribbon to neaten it up. I was worried I would have to special order the ribbon - I wasn't sure my local Fabricland would stock grosgrain ribbon in an appley-sagey green colour. But I went anyway - of the maybe 8 colours they stocked, one was almost a perfect colour match! (It doesn't show here - the grosgrain reflected the light a bit, but really, the colour is perfect.)



So the finishing is done, and as much as I thought I wanted toggles or clasps - this sweater is demanding a zipper. It's too heavy, and will fall off my shoulders if I don't give the front complete stabilization. So, now I'm off on a zipper hunt...

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Notions are always the killer for me - buttons or zippers or lining, I always get caught on the notions. 'Hope your luck holds from your success finding matching gros grain!

Anonymous said...

Good call on the zipper!
I bet it looks gorgeous.
Nancy