Sunday, June 15, 2008

Well, that was fun!

Saturday was a blast! I drove down to Lettuce Knit to be a part of WWKIP day, and more importantly, to be a part of Franklin's 1000 knitter project.
Can I just say something about Franklin? You know how when you read someone's blog, and you get the idea that they would be really nice in person? Well Franklin is not like that. He's better. He's the nicest guy, and even though I spent all of about 5 minutes chatting with him while I knit and he took my picture, it feels like I've made a new friend. He's that good.

I drove downtown,
(SO out of my comfort zone, here!! - yet I still take a picture while driving. Mental, I am.)
and was met right away by the organizer-extraordinaire, Rachel H. She greeted me with a hug and the "clipboard of power", got me signed in, and gave me the release to fill out. Then, I just plopped myself down, and started to knit, among all the other knitters there. Soon enough, Rachel came over and said to make my way to the back of the store, as it was my turn. When I got back there, I saw the birthday girl Stephanie, along with Juno, Dr. Steph, and Rams-of-the-comments. There were other people there as well, but I didn't recognize them, nor did I ask, nor did I take any pictures. My bad. I think Rachel and Stephanie were happy about that. The humidity was doing things to their hair that was not making them happy. Of course, me, with the super straight, "I'd kill for curls like that" hair, should have taken the pictures anyway. I only took my camera out once. and that was to Kinnear Franklin.I just didn't feel right about taking pictures of people. I know a lot of bloggers do it, but it was such a relaxed atmosphere. So, no pictures. Again, my bad.
Stephanie and I chatted for a bit, I gave her the Butter Tart Muffins I baked, and we discussed Aurora in August - details to come. We were debating the weather we will get - we've had extreme heat and unseasonable cold. We figure high winds, flooding or locusts are our options for this year.
I sat around for a bit, chatting with people, did a little shopping at Lettuce Knit (some Sea Silk and some Silky Wool may have made their way into my bag...) I also won a door prize: (you can read Franklin's (actually Dolores') interview with one of the authors here.) It's a lovely book, and one I will use. Although, as nice as it is, I was just one prize off from winning a Franklin original drawing commemorating WWKIP day. So close!
I had a great time. I stepped out of my comfort zone to drive there, and sat among people I didn't know, but soon got to know (Hi Leigh!). I got to meet Franklin, and be a part of something special (to knitters for sure, and hopefully a broader audience). I got to meet up with Stephanie and Rachel H (her "sidekick!" giggle...) again, and make plans to bring them back to Aurora. Would I do it again? In a New York Minute.
Dudes, thanks for organizing this. I hope the celebration last night was a doozy!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Okay, when are yo doing the Steph in Aurora in August? I was thinking of coming up to T.O. in August and if I happen to have that weekend free.....

Sel and Poivre said...

Congrats on the drive into the city! 'Sounds like lots of great things happened outside the comfort zone!

Anonymous said...

Does your prize good luck ever run out? Envy, envy. So glad the parking went well, too!

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprised that you won a prize!!!???!!!
And I am SO jealous that you got to spend Saturday knitting with the cool and famous while I spent it in a Board meeting.
Sigh...
couldn't you have lied and said you had a horrible day???
Nancy

TracyKM said...

Butter Tart Muffins??!! That sounds delicious!
You seemed fine when you drove me to the Knitter's Frolic a few years ago :) I really miss living on a GO train line!! It looks like you had a really nice day; that book is one I want too.
Hey, you could have let me pick up the loom, bring it out to you, and drive me down to the event too! I really wish I could have gone after reading your description.

Anonymous said...

so sorry i missed it!
though i did have a fabulous 20year re-union of my class.
more details, please!
helga

Anonymous said...

hi, your butter tart muffins were wonderful... I had one the next day in a 'knit a baby sweater class' at LK. so thanks for the snack!
Elizabeth