Friday, June 13, 2008

loom envy

"Loom Envy". What a great saying, and so very true right now...

Commenter Michelle had this to say:
"I have been thinking about taking the plunge for sometime now. But seems like the urge is striking everyone everywhere particularly hard right now. I am this close to ordering one, myself, would you mind sharing where you got yours? And if you are taking some lessons, I'd be interested in hearing where you were able to take them, as I haven't been having much luck in my own search."

I hadn't thought about classes - I figure I will read the book that comes with it, and I've reserved a few books from the library to get some background info. I mean, how tough can it be? I'm guessing the most difficult part will be warping it, but the actual weaving should be pretty straighforward. (Remember these words - they may come back and bite me on the ass soon...)

I bought my loom (A LeClerc Bergere Tabletop Rigid Heddle 24" loom) from Camilla Valley Farm - by the way, a great place to order anything from. I've bought yarn from Nina before and am thoroughly impressed with her customer service. We talked on the phone, and I ordered the loom, some bamboo yarn and some Cottolin yarn as well. Hopefully, I'll have it within a week, depending on shipping times - It's not that far, but we're depending on Canada Post.

And here's the best part - we had a 50/50 draw at work yesterday - and I won!! I won enough to pay for the loom, and add a little to my charity giving fund... Life really is good...

It's amazing isn't it? I saw a post where Laura talked about weaving. I saw the end result of what she made, read how easy it was and how enjoyable, and decided to take the plunge. And while roaming around the blogosphere, saw that I was not the only one. At least 3 of my regular reads are also either buying a loom, or dusting off one they already have. I freely admit to being a bandwagon-jumper in this case.

We seem to wield a great deal of power (at least over each other). I wonder if we could harness this as an alternative energy source...

3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh great! Now I know where to get one and how little they cost and how quick and easy they are to get!. This on top of Laura's tempting pics! I'd better get off line for the weekend until this need to weave thing hopefully eases a bit!

Have fun tomorrow at Lettuce Knit!

Carol said...

You wonthe draw because you were fated to have the loom. funny how life does that to you sometimes. You aren't sur eyou did the right thing and boom! something happens thattells you "it's fine"

Anonymous said...

And here I have a 48" wide Leclerc four harness I'm trying to figure out how to ship to my sister in law in New Jersey; I've decided I like the texture of the things I knit better than anything I could ever weave, and having it sit as a piece to drape my handspun yarns from just makes them moth entrees.

And yet, and yet... There's such a whole different world to explore, weaving vs knitting. There's a place for each. (Just not with my bad shoulder.)