Wednesday, June 25, 2008

best damn vinaigrette ever

I'm Canadian. And a damn proud one as well. Although I don't particularly like hockey, I'm a huge basketball fan, and that has roots in Canada as well, so there.

A big part of Canada is the Maple Leaf.

It's on our flag:It's on our money:
It's the quintessential symbol of Canada. The tree it comes from also provides us with the best sweet substance you will ever find

Maple Syrup. And now, thanks to Norma, it is also the basis of the best salad vinaigrette I have ever tasted. Even though Norma's in Vermont, and may try to lay claim to maple syrup (and they make a pretty good one there), I have taken this as my Canada Day BBQ salad dressing. Even my husband, the King of Catalina dressing, loves it. Of course, the real test will be Husband's family - salad lovers all, and big fans of the bottled stuff. I'm going to test it out on them this weekend at the cottage. There won't be much choice on dressings, since we're too far away from a corner store to run out and buy a bottle of Ranch.

Click on Norma's link above and get the Maple Vinaigrette Recipe. It takes about 30 seconds to make, and tastes like heaven on greens. I'd post the recipe, but it's not mine, so go over to Norma's and try it. Really, you have to try this. It's my new summer staple. (Oh, and I added a few minced chives from my garden to it for a little extra kick.)

2 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

One thing we have a lot of in our house is maple syrup. My son has it on everything. Except salad greens. Sadly, one thing we do not have a lot of in our house is salad greens.

Anonymous said...

Having lived in New Hampshire for four years, I can't ever again touch the ersatz maple stuff. I explained to the local grocery store manager why he wanted to stock grade b or even c syrup, if he could get it--the grades being based on the days when maple sugar was the cheap substitute for real sugar, and you wanted it as flavor-free as possible. C has lots of flavor!