Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the garden post

I feel like I should be posting some garden pictures, now that Norma has linked to me. I love Norma's blog. It started as a knitting blog, but has morphed into so much more. There are a number of blogs that have morphed, and I love it - I don't read just for the knitting, I read for the glimpses into life that people share. I know some readers get turned off when knitting takes a second row seat, but not me.

I had mentioned to Norma that my son is in charge of the "food garden" as he calls it. I look after the flowers, Dad gets the lawn, Son handles the food. Growing food has always been a bit tough, as vegetables require a fair bit of sun, and well, sun is a little known phenomena in our yard.

Meet our hedges: 14 foot cedars that encircle the entire (small) yard. They are tall, and block out a great deal of sun. I have become the master of shade gardening: You want hostas? I got hostas!We have one real area that gets enough sun to grow veggies, and we have given it over to the boy: Norma! note the raised bed! Corn, beans, onions, carrots and peppers. We also get sun off our front deck, and that's where my garden of and pots of herbs and tomatoes live. (I handle the herbs, Son watches over the tomatoes). Upon looking at the space around the food garden, we have decided that next year, an expansion is coming. We don't use this part of the lot for anything. (We have a corner house, which means the yard is pretty chopped up, and this part is not really part of the useful area). More raised beds, more veggies. This can only be a good thing.

5 comments:

Dani In NC said...

Your veggie plot resembles mine a little. I have a small bed next to my husband's shed and containers on the unused deck. My husband is a lawn-loving guy, so he didn't really want to give up much of that space. My small bed is contained within some board that used to be the foundation of our kids' play structure. Pulling up the foundation was too much work, so he decided I could have it for my garden. I'm hoping that he will let me expand beyond it in the fall because I want to plant more greens!

I read on Norma's blog that your son is eating more veggies since he started gardening. I hope I have a similar result with my kids. I'm trying to wean us all off of so much processed food.

Cari said...

That's great that your son is gardening! I'm hoping that in a few years Thumper shows similar interest. It would be a fun thing to be able to share.

Sel and Poivre said...

The only thing better than growing your own food is helping your kids understand how great it is to do so! Your son is a lucky boy!

Sel and Poivre said...

The only thing better than growing your own food is helping your kids understand how great it is to do so! Your son is a lucky boy!

Linda said...

It's great that your son is learning about gradening and where the food really comes from.
I think more people will be putting gardens in over the next few years considering the rising costs of food.