Tuesday, June 24, 2008

barrel of...

Monkeys??


Fun??
Nope! It's a barrel...
of weaving yarn!!

Seriously vintage weaving yarn.See those Tex-Made labels? Almost made me cry. My Dad was a Tex-Made vice president before he started his own business. I grew up with Tex-Made. I can't wait to show this to my Mom.
Jen from my Guild contacted me last week once she learned I had bought a loom (STILL waiting for it - you know it will be delivered tonight - the one night I'm out for dinner with friends, and won't be home until late). It's literally a barrel of cotton warp yarn, ranging from sizes 2/8 to 4/8 to 2/16 (in knitters terms, kind of like heavy laceweight to cobweb weight, but it seems sturdier, since it's cotton). In blues, black, rust, turquoise, yellow, red, green... Just the thing for warping the loom when I want to weave with all the cotton I have. I'm picturing tea towels, perhaps placemats... To be honest, until I get into it, I won't know for sure. Deirdre, if we get together to weave, we'll have to try it out!
Most of it was in great shape, at least from the outside of the cone. There was a bit of a musty smell, but I don't think it's anything a little airing out won't take care of. Some of the stuff at the bottom of the barrel was beyond help - there was some stuff growing that shouldn't have been growing, but really, considering how long it was probably in there, I'm surprised it wasn't worse.
Jen - I thank you. The first tea towel is yours. What colour is your kitchen?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog art - too funny!

I'm glad to have satisfied my weird, obsessive need to match the donated object to the proper recipient once again. It is so great that your Dad worked for the company so you can save a few labels for your scrapbook too.

My kitchen is about to become milk chocolate brown with turquoise accents. Thanks and happy weaving.

Carol said...

That is weird. Cool, but weird. Where on Earth was that barrel hiding?

Saren Johnson said...

Wow! It really is a small world.

Sel and Poivre said...

Matching worthy recipient with unused treasures - what could be better?

deirdre said...

Absolutely serendipitous - I love that word and never get to use it - and I would love to help you play with your new toys...

I love that your dad worked for the same company - you were obviously meant to buy a loom...