Monday, June 23, 2008

Kauni

I'm about to start the Kauni cardigan. Of course, me being me, I've discovered a problem right off the bat. The cardigan pattern says it requires 480g of yarn. I have 400g of yarn (I bought 4 balls - thought it was enough).

So, if I make the cardigan as it is, from the bottom up, I may get screwed. And how conscious am I of getting screwed by yarn? Anyone remember Hyrna Herborgar?? Yeah, I'm still waiting on yarn to finish that beauty. (good news - I should have the yarn in August. The wonderful Tove of Needles and Knits has arranged transport from Iceland. A guest coming to her daughter's wedding will be bringing some...)

And I really like raglan shaping, rather than drop sleeves. So, I took Laura's wonderful top down raglan cardigan sweater and did some math to readjust gauge, and changed it to be knit in the round and steeked, and I think I have come up with something that will work. I can play with the length and the sleeves. Now I just have to decide if I want to do the damask pattern, or a wonderful Celtic Knot pattern I found. I leaning to the Celtic Knot. Which means I have to do more math and such to make sure the patterns are centred. And if can't put my hands on more yarn, I can reduce the quantity of the fair isle patterning, maybe keeping it to the top and bottom of the sweater, thereby stretching the 400g that I do have.

But if I do all this ahead of time, it should mean the knitting part with flow without a hitch. Right? Right? (Please humour me and tell me it will...)

4 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I so hope it will!

deirdre said...

you betcha - just knit faster and the yarn will go further - I swear it works...

Carol said...

Of course it will be fine. considering all the thiniking you had to do about it, the yarn would have to have a serious death wish to not be cooperative.

TracyKM said...

Totally nothing to do with Kauni. But you're in trouble for posting that link to Laura's site. I scrolled down a bit and saw the really cute dress. Then I followed her links, and now I've been swallowed by Craftster.org and the overwhelming urge to make a dress that bears a strange resemblance to the stretchy baby wrap carrier I used to use, LOL. I may even need to go to the fabric store!