Friday, June 20, 2008

more my speed...

For those that wondered, this is much more my comfort zone while driving. Note the lack of tall buildings, cars and pedestrians. And this is my drive to work - the cottage drive is even more rustic, and just how I like it.

I was also asked about the Butter Tart Muffin recipe. I have no idea of the providence of this recipe - it was a photocopy of a typewritten, butter stained page when I got it, and I'm not even sure where I got it from. I can honestly say I did not create it. But they are yummy (if a little sticky). They freeze well, so make an extra batch and save for a rainy day.

Butter Tart Muffins
(makes 12 - I usually double this batch)

1 -1/2 cups raisins
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla (use the good stuff... it makes a difference)
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cups walnuts, chopped - optional (I don't add the nuts when I don't know who will be eating them - nut allergies, ya know...)
Maple syrup (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) It says you can use corn syrup, but trust me, use REAL maple syrup - no Aunt Jemima, please!)

Place raisins, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is hot, slightly thickened, and just beginning to bubble, about 5-8 minutes. Cool slightly, uncovered in the refrigerator, while continuing with the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or coat with cooking spray, or as I do, line with paper liners. Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in warm raisin mixture and nuts if using, stirring just until combined. Spoon mixture into muffin cups. Bake in centre of oven until golden and a cake tester inserted into centre of a muffin comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately pour about 1 teaspoon of maple syrup over top of each muffin. Cool muffins in cups for 10 minutes then remove to a rack. Best served warm, but pretty good cold as well. Store muffins in a sealed bag at room temperature for up to two days. For longer storage, refrigerate, or preferably freeze.

I'm still patiently waiting for my loom - and trying to figure out where to keep it. I'd love to get it before the weekend, so I can start playing - Deirdre is taunting me with hers...

1 comment:

Carol said...

I'm soooo gonna do the butter tart thing this week! Mmmmm...