Thursday, June 12, 2008

taking the plunge...

Okay, so I decided I will drive downtown on Saturday. The weather being a factor in this, as it looks to be raining on and off during the day, and I don't really want to depend on finding my way around the streets of Kensington Market in the rain on foot...
I appreciate all the help from the comments - knowing there are a couple of Green P parking lots in the area eases my suburban mind quite a bit!

In actual knitting news, I am working on some socks:
(from left to right - the pale grey bamboo you've all seen before, some brown Galaxy socks, destined for a gift, and some beautiful brown and grey handpaint from my friend and knitwear designer Elizabeth Fallone - I love these, and have to decide soon if I keep them or give them away - my FIL spied them, and has been making not so subtle comments about how nice they would look on him...)

some lace:
(the restart of the copper lace shawl - loving it!)

some beads:
and some math:
I've decided to use the basic pattern of the kauni cardigan, but the damask fair isle patterning. I want to centre the motifs, which means counting stitches and all that, and then figuring out the sleeves, and how that's going to work, and all the rest. I looked around Ravelry, and found a variation I love - instead of the ribbed edges (ribbing on cardigans doesn't thrill me), I saw a version with picot hems - bottom, neck edge and front edge. Love it! I may not do the picot, but I'm definitely doing the hemmed edges. I even have some nice pewter clasps that will work well for the front closures, rather than buttons.

The kauni cardigan may become my large summer project. How's that for good planning? Having a lapful of wool in August. Well, that's what socks are for - small portable, and if they reach my lap while I'm knitting, then I've made them too long!

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I cannot even imagine doing a damask fair isle pattern! I'm utterly impressed with anyone who can crank out something like that!

Anonymous said...

Julia! I'd know that lace's face anywhere! Thank you!