Wednesday, May 21, 2008

taking chances...

So, as you all know, I've been all about the bead knitting lately. I'm thinking these little amulet bags will make great Christmas presents for a number of the women on my list. And judging from some of the reactions from people who saw them this past weekend, they will be well received.

But the first one I knitted up a week ago is causing me problems. I wanted to use some mixed topaz coloured beads I had. THey would look smashing on black or even better, dark brown thread. Two colours that I did not have. But I REALLY wanted to knit these beads...

So I thought silver grey would look good. And in my infinite deluded state, I continued knitting the topaz beads on the silver grey thread, even though I realized that I did not like the silver showing through: (Note that this is flat, and still needs to be sewn up).

I thought the silver would show through, adding a lightness to the bead fabric. But, really, I wanted a dark background, to show off the sparkle of the topaz beads. (From the back, the silver looks even worse).

So, do I rip it out? Do I leave it, and hope the recipient likes it? Neither option really appeals to me. And, even though I have more of these beads, I really like the mixed topaz colours, so I want to salvage this...





















I'll let you know how it turns out...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Needles

Philosophical Karen said...

I hope the dye takes to the thread without affecting the beads. (Hmm, that almost sounds like a veiled criticism of your idea, which is not the case -- I really DO hope it works!)

When I first read this I was wondering whether a dark fabric lining would make any difference, but I guess it's a moot point now.

deirdre said...

I prefer the prospect of dyeing to what I imagine the carnage of ripping out beaded knitting to be...

looking forward to the outcome...

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "You are BRAVE"!!!
Nancy

Carol said...

Hmm, if it doesn't work, you can always rip. And if it turns into carnage, then blog it and we will all sympathize with you....