Thursday, May 15, 2008

answering questions and finishing things...

Linda asked in the comments...
What kind of heel are you using for the Noro socks? I have a friend who dyed her yarn in the rainbow sequence and is struggling to come up with a sock heel that will not ruin the color sequence of the leg.

I use a double wrapped short row heel, a la Wendy. She has a very detailed description under her "free patterns" tab on how to do this heel. It's now second nature to me, and I don't need the printout to refer to. Actually, my whole sock pattern is like that - stuck in my head - which is great because it's my "go-to" pattern when I need something to do while doing other things (like watching my son play basketball or, as of this week, soccer).

Where did you get your sock needle "suitcase"? I have been looking for some.

LuckyCanuck and I found these at the Knitters Frolic at... I can't remember which vendor. (This would have been a great spot for a picture of it - oops, I guess I should have taken one...) There was a package of two for about $9, and LC and I split on it, since it was the last package, and we both wanted at least one. It works great - the needles stay put, I can toss it in my bag with no worries about dropped stitches. This one is just cardboard, but I've seen them in metal and wood on line. Hmmm... metal. Must get hubby on this - maybe he can fabricate a stainless one for me. (He made me the bead needles I use). Steel might be a little heavy to carry around, however...

One Noro sock is done:
I LOVE this. I love the colouration, but then again, it's Noro. Brilliant colours, no matter what. And, even though I wasn't planning on matching the striping (I thought I would let things fall as they may...) when the sock was as long as I like, it turned out to be one full colour repeat. So I will be able to match them. And I'm betting I will have a fair bit of the skein left over - not sure if there is enough for some ankle socks, but maybe if I make some plain toes and heels, I'll be able to use this up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the sock!!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

That is a very hot sock. I will rethink buying this stuff after all. The colour is glorious.

Anonymous said...

this is the first sock I have seen completed with the Noro. Lovely.

And yeah, the whole yarn store thing is mind blowing. Its not big bucks, but I just could not care less. I will mow lawns for extra money if I must.

Needles

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

Linda said...

Thanks for the info re the sock heel and needle protectors. I saw some at MD sheep and wool but they were very pricey - over $50 - and while they were beautiful, that's a bit much for me.