Friday, May 23, 2008

no worries...

Remember this? And this?
Put them together, and you get...

this!


SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Actually, I'm not surprised, since I did do my homework. I knew the cotton perle thread would take up the dye - that's why I used RIT - it dyes cotton beautifully. I also knew the glass beads would not be affected, as it said right on the package that it will not dye glass.

So last night, I tossed some dye in a mason jar, added very hot water, stirred it up, dropped in the beaded thing, and 10 seconds later - the thread was a lovely chocolate brown, and the mixed topaz beads just POP! The difference is amazing - the beads really sparkle on the dark thread.

No question I will do this again. I may just stock up on white perle cotton for all those beads that I can't find the right thread for...

6 comments:

Needles said...

That is absolutely lovely. And what a good idea to stock up on the white yarn. You will always find white, and if any perle cotton goes on sale, it's goig to be the white.

Cindy G said...

Cool!

deirdre said...

WOW - that's fabulous!! What an improvement! You are definitely sparking an interest in me for the bead knitting thing... I'm almost there...

and there's a bead shop in town and everything...

Carol said...

That turned out really well! You are so right. You could dye the cotton ot the exact colour you want!! Genius.

TracyKM said...

Great idea! I usually have the yarn I want, but can't find nice beads here. So I haven't done anything beaded. So glad for you that your brown dye really was brown dye and not somehow green, like mine was, LOL (maybe I should stick with RIT brand!!)

Anonymous said...

SCRUMPTIOUS!! Clever gal for dyeing when you could not get the perfect thread colour!!

Cheers, Barbie O. in Montreal (currently threading a gazillion beads to do my first Brenda Franklin beaded choker--thanks to you!)