Friday, May 30, 2008

soccer mom

So sitting at the side of a soccer pitch for 2 hours a week means lots of sock knitting. That is, once we get past the "oh, you knit? what are you making? I don't know how you can do that, I have no patience! or "I wouldn't have time for something like that!" comments.

The first couple I don't mind - really, don't we like showing off what we're working on? Especially something as colourful as Noro socks (which is my soccer mom project at the moment).

The "I have no patience" comment kills me. I mean, these are parents of kids the same age as mine. If you have no patience, and you're the parent of a 9 year old boy, you either beat your child (and I'd better not find out that's the case!) or you have full time help inside your home and never deal with your child's questions and antics. Trust me, if you can raise a child, you have the patience to knit.

The "wouldn't have time for it" comment is just hysterical. I mean, what are you doing while you say you don't have time? You're doing exactly what I'm doing - sitting in a chair, chatting, while watching your kid play soccer. (exception to the one mom who was chasing 2 year old twins and a 3 year old while her 9 year old was playing and she was on the phone with her husband who was at their 5 year old's game. She's got an excuse). But the others? You have time. If you choose to make it so.

I have this same issue with my SIL - she isn't working right now (her disability has run out and her company bought her out, so she's paid until the end of the year, then she has to go back to work. (as an aside - she REALLY doesn't want to go back after 3 years off, and is thinking about part time work. Her husband, thinking of mortgage and bill payments, has other plans. I am staying SOOOO far out of that discussion...) Anyhoo, she isn't working. Her kids are 9 and 14, and reasonably self sufficient. SHE HAS NO HOBBIES. What the hell does she do all day? Drives me nuts to think of all that spare time, and what I could do with it. I've offered to teach her to knit, to sew, to make cards. to scrapbook, to DO SOMETHING!! Nope. She shops and watches TV. Doesn't even like reading. It hurts my head to think about this...

But, back to the knitting. The Noro socks are chugging along, as is the lace shawl. I've also got something in mind for that cone of laceweight silver Tencel - the Adamas shawl. I'm thinking it may be stunning. And even the Tilli Tomas Disco Lights - I had one option that Elizabeth gave me, but I don't have enough yarn to do this pattern justice. I may make River - the yardage fits, but River originally was made with Kid Silk Haze, and the Disco Lights is a much heavier silk yarn. But, it still might work.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I'm thinking the Disco as a River Rocks scarf would work. The heaviness would make a skinny, elegant scarf around the neck. It wouldn't be miles long, so I think if it's short enough, the weight would work.

Gotta love those hobbie-less folk.

Needles said...

Did you get the Alpaca yarn at an outside of country source? I wonder if this is one of those one thing here another thing there name things that happens for Canadians. Either way, I'll tell you, it is utterly D I V I N E.

Sometimes people forget to feed their hearts. and sometimes what just seems like escape is really a hobby. I know a lady who acknowledge that her hobby is shopping, not buying, just shopping and I have a friend who says her hobby is house cleaning because she seriously enjoys the task. (I think she is nuts.) The mom chasing after the kids already knows she is going to do something for herself when she has a moment. If she didn't she'd go batty.

Sel and Poivre said...

I've spent about nine hours watching my son's athletic activities this week alone! - Cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, home maintenance, yard work, even with teen aged kids I've barely got time to breath at home but on the road with them? Without knitting I'd go nuts!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the soccermom thing on Thursdays too this year, and since the other parents on our team have become accustomed to my knitting I don't get stupid comments anymore.

Anonymous said...

When I lived in New York I watched the people on the subway Knit their way along. I wish I had done something more constructive than reading all the advertisements on the walls. It would have been a lot more fun.

Carol said...

My comeback to the "I have no patience" thing is that it's not about patience. I am NOT patient-just ask my hubby. It's about what grabs your interest. if knitting doesn't float you boat, that's fine, but it's not about patience.

CatBookMom said...

You are so good, not telling the 'no time for knitting' people why they're wasting the empty time they do have. Um, besides any time they may spend online, as I do, lol!

Your photo of hostas is wonderful. We planted some and enjoyed them one year, but they didn't come back. A couple of experienced gardeners at a local botanical garden said that they just don't survive the snails, slugs and so forth here, and it's an exercise in futility to keep at it. There are so many other things we can grow well in SoCal, guess I can deal.

Lovely post.