Thursday, April 10, 2008

still with the cards...

I do knit - really I do. But do you want to see another sleeve in beige silk/wool K4P1 ribbing. Right. I'll be back with that when it's done. (soon, now, I promise.)

Like Lucky, I've been making cards:

I have an nephew about to turn 14. He will not care about this card, only the gift card that will be tucked inside of it, but hell, he's 14! With his hormones, and puberty rearing it's ugly head, we're lucky he even acknowledges our presence. Here's his birthday card:Straightforward stuff. Interesting paper, some skateboarding stickers, and a Happy Birthday Stamp. Took about 5 minutes, tops.


Then my son's best friend (or "frenemy" as they call each other - I guess it's not cool to have a best friend of the opposite gender...) is about to turn 9. As tough as she is, she's a girly girl:The bit of handmade paper with the flowers embedded? Dollar store find! Seriously, it's considered wrapping paper, although I find it way to thick to wrap with, and it's a piece about 24 inches by 36 inches, and it was a buck! I got 4 different kinds... The other stuff at the bottom is some silk flowers and natural seed pods - the stamp is embossed with copper embossing powder.

The same nephew is also graduating this year from grade 8, and I gather this is a big deal. (Am I dating myself here? When we left grade eight, we basically left grade eight. Goodbye to middle school, and off to the unknowns of high school. We may have had a grad ceremony and maybe a dance after school (home by 6pm!) but nothing that stands out. Nowadays, it seems like grade 8 graduation rivals a University commencement.

I also have a niece graduating grade 8, so she gets some flowers on hers:

I know I'm a little early for graduation, but what the heck - I had the stickers and stuff, so I got it done. Wanna bet I lose these before June?

I am REALLY have fun with this! I hope it continues, at least until I use up some of the supplies that have accumulated...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE those cards! Your graphic arts training background comes out in them as well in the aesthetic. Very sharp.

Grade 8 graduation. Picturing little smelly boys up to my shoulder, doing some stupid slow dancing to Stairway to Heaven.

Carol said...

Nice cards! Andif you lose the grad cards...well, it[s an excuse to 'use up" more supplies, right?