Thursday, April 17, 2008

sleeves are done!

Woo Hoo! I have finally finished the sleeves of the hoodie. Technically, I could bind off the bottom and be done with this, but I have enough yarn and enough time to lengthen it. So I will. I love a tunic length sweater, so I'm thinking a few more inches at the bottom would be good.

Now I have to decide on my next large-ish project. A shawl? I have patterns, have the yarn. But, I also want a little shrug sort of cropped cardigan. I may do the bulk of this on my machine, simply to get it done. I'm thinking straight stockinette, and that can be done on the machine pretty quickly. I really only use my machine for things like this. I'm not really into hand manipulating stitches on it, or doing anything fancy. Straight flat pieces of stockinette, with some necessary shaping - that's about it. So, it will probably be a summer weight shawl in a pattern from AlisonH's book "Wrapped in Comfort", and if I can carve some time to work on my machine, maybe a little black silk cropped cardi. I will probably design it on Sweater Wizard, since I know what I want it to look like (simple raglan shaping, plain stockinette to let the yarn shine, long or 3/4 length sleeves...) and rather than search through patterns and try to make them fit the yarn, I can enter all the data, ans sweater wizard spits out a pattern. As much as I love the process of knitting, sometimes, I am just after the end product because I want to wear it.
I love technology.

2 comments:

Needles said...

I hate the math but love the work of knitting. I really like the Yarn Harlots idea of a sock recipe and the whole way of thinking of sweater knitting from 'Knitting in the Old Way'. Very wholistic. Healing. Natural. But yeah, when I am making a sweater for myself, I can see using the machine for the the plain stockinette parts.

Anonymous said...

What's Sweater Wizard?? And where do I get it??? I agree - sometimes when you know exactly what you want, it's just easier to design it yourself. Well, okay, it's never easier when I try to design it mtself - hence the question, what's Sweater Wizard!!!
Nancy