Friday, April 25, 2008

and now back to our regularly scheduled knitting...

Yesterday's post was pretty personal for me. Considering I don't share the names of my husband or son, and keep the pictures intentionally vague of people (I cannot bring myself to post a picture of my son on the Internet...) talking about J's schooling options was more than I would usually share. But I really wanted to gather information from all sources - those who know us and know the type of kid he is, and opinions that could be considered pretty objective - you guys out there!
J is a good kid. We have always stressed that balance in life - school, family, athletics, social as well as a healthy dose of "downtime" is important. We know we will make a good choice for him - he is as involved in the decision making as we are - and it's also good to know that whatever we choose right now is not locked in for life. We can move him around if something is not a good fit.

All of the comments were much appreciated. It's nice to get information from people that have gone through similar things. We're close to a decision, and have weighed all options and opinions, including those I read here. J is happy with the choice we will probably make - he had a big part in the decision making process.

But anyway... back to knitting! I've started a new larger project:

The Blue Jay Shawl from AlisonH's book "Wrapped in Comfort". I'm using another stash yarn (yay! stash busting!) - Callista from Elann, bought well over a year ago with nothing particular in mind. It's a 50% viscose, 25% cotton, 25% linen blend, and is very soft and drapey. I think this will work very well for summer. It's a rich coppery colour that I just love.

It's a good thing I love it, because after knitting the same 382 stitch row* twice last night, if I didn't love the yarn and the pattern, it would have been drop kicked across the kitchen...

*the pattern is fine - it's the knitter that can't follow a ten stitch repeat...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the rows on that one are slightly counterintuitive at the first few stitches, and you have to pay more attention than in some of the more mindlessly patterned shawls like the Julia or the Michelle. That's why I slapped an Intermediate label on it. I hope it works out well for you as you go along!

(And yeah, I'm used to those long rows by now. I've made many dozens of those by now.)

Needles said...

curlerchik, I have been thinking how to explain what I know of yesterdays subject, but suffice it to say, I know of this through several sons, details of which will not help you.

Follow your heart. No one knows what you know of your child. Seriously, if you even for a moment question what other peole say, follow your heart. That IS what is best.