Wednesday, April 23, 2008

done! and blocking...

The hoodie is done - I've soaked it in warm water and a little Eucalan, and just sort of laid it out. I've stretched the hood a bit - the ribbing really pulled it in, and made it look kind of... insignificant, I guess is the word here. The rest of the ribbed fabric gets stretched out from wearing, but the hood, since it doesn't actually get worn, doesn't stretch like the rest of it, so I helped it along.

I'm very happy with this project, even though it seemed to take me forever. I will get a lot of use out of it, being nice and neutral, but therein lies the problem. It's neutral, which makes for boring knitting. (ask me how long plain grey cotton socks have been hanging around, undone...)

I like colour, or lace or cables, or something more interesting than K4,P1 ribbing over and over and over...

The bonus is that it is knit in one piece, from the top of the hood to the hem. Which means when I cast off, I was virtually done. Just weave in some ends, block and we're good.

Specs:
American Safari Hoodie Pattern from KnitScene Winter 2007 / Spring 2008 - 5th pattern down. Mods:
I made it long sleeved, because 1. I wanted long sleeves, and 2. I had enough yarn. I think I also made it longer than they did, but again, I could, and I wanted to, so I did. I don't usually follow their recommendations for body and sleeve length - I make it to fit me.

I substituted for the recommended Tahki New Tweed
(60% wool, 26% rayon, 14% silk; 92 yd [84 m]/50 g.

I used Drops Silke Tweed
(52% silk, 48% lambs wool, 50g = 200m)

and I'm very happy I did. I had it in my stash, I had bought it on sale, it's a nice yarn (if a little ropey feeling when knitting) and it's pretty. All good reasons for using it.

I used the recommended needle size (3.75mm), and got close enough to gauge to satisfy me.

I want this to wear on Saturday to the Knitter's Frolic, so I'm glad it's done in time. I'm also glad I had a self-imposed deadline for it, or else it would have languished for a while when I got bored of the beige. During the time I knit this, I also knit most of a shawl (STILL cannot find any more of the Icelandic laceweight - I'm going to have to import it through my LYS...), and some socks, so I think I did OK in finishing this when I did.

And yes, I've started another project. No pictures, because, well, I didn't take any. But it's soft, summery, lacey and copper coloured... yummy...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Maybe I'll spot you at the Frolic.
A. Lurker

deirdre said...

Very nice - how about a pic of you modelling?

And I was planning to be at the Frolic, but, well, plans change... maybe some other time?

Anonymous said...

Well done, Curl! I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. That was a pretty fast knit. If I'd made it, or, er, I was making it, I'd be done in about 2 more years.

Carol said...

Looks like a very nice knit that you will get lots of wear with!

Too bad I won't be able to make it to the Frolic...maybe next year!