Monday, April 14, 2008

getting my colour fix...

I caved. But I had a good reason. One of the guys I work with - his wife just had a baby girl. So I grabbed the chance to knit some colour:

Fleece artist sock yarn from the stash - a baby hat of my own design - double thick brim with a picot hem. Here's the inside of the hem, after I've joined it:

Super simple procedure. You can do a provisional cast on to start, or even easier - simply e-wrap cast on (I cast on to a bigger needle for ease). then, knit to the depth of hem you want (I made this one about 6cm), then pick up a stitch from the cast on and knit it with each stitch - voila! an attached hem, nice a smooth on the inside, and no fiddling with a provisional crochet chain. If anyone is interested, I can show a better tutorial of this one of these days.

This has replaced the sock in my "carry everywhere" bag for the moment - I'll do this, and maybe some mitten to go with it. I'm making a large-ish size, since the baby won't need a wool hat right away, but next fall it should be ready to go. (I rarely knit for babies in a size under 6-9 months - babies grow exponentially fast...

But the beige hoodie continues on:

a somewhat crappy picture taken early this morning. One sleeve done, one almost done (about 3 more inches to do...) and the body could be done, but I will probably add another few inches. I want this for the Frolic in two weeks, so there's plenty of time to get it to the length I want.

As long as no more babies come to distract me...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that Fleece Artist colour!

Needles said...

Raises hands and wildly grover waves. E-wrap cast on????

We of the lone cast on brigade are always looking for pithy details.

Carol said...

Pretty colours! I hope your fun colour project turns out better than my cursed socks!

Anonymous said...

Needles--an e wrap is simply crossing a loop and putting it on the needle. But if you make a long series of them, you'll find this length of random yarn from between the stitches that adds up and up from stitch to stitch as you keep going when you do the first row, if it's long--just so you know.

Meantime. That hoodie looks totally snuggleable up in, and the colors for that baby just sing!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty!
Yep, I'm with needles...it's all in the details. I learn so much from blogland. Thanks!

A. Lurker

Saren Johnson said...

Details would be good. I like learning new things.