Wednesday, November 21, 2007

lots of little things

I've been knitting - I'm trying to get things organized to go away, and that means a lot of starts, but not a lot of finishes. (yes, I plan my travel knitting before all else, what of it?)

Travel knitting to me is little things that work up easily. No sweaters, probably no beads, (although it's hard to leave them behind...), nothing that requires lots of chart referrals, etc. So we're talking socks and hand warmers for the most part. I've cast on a couple of toes, and got them to the point of off the two circs, and on to my beloved dpns. A pair for my hubby in Rabbitch's Toe Jam, Black Watch Colourway:
I've told you the history of this - Hubby's grandfather was in the Black Watch, and it has a special place in Hubby's heart, as well as historical significance. Good on ya, Rabbitch. These are on metal dpns, so will not make it into the cabin of the plane with me. I know that, by law, I am ALLOWED to bring knitting needles on the plane, and I have successfully done so in the past, but we have a 6:30am flight, and it's young son's first time in a jet (he's flown in Cessnas, both wheeled and float, but not anything bigger - talk about doing things backwards...). Anyhoo, I figure this will be the one time I get a crankypants bag checker who will freak at sharp metal sticks, and cause us all kinds of problems that I will not be able to deal with in the middle of the night with (probably) very little caffeine. Hence, a pair for my son - Austemann Step with Aloe, on bamboo dpns. Should pass muster:
I also have a pair of handwarmers on bamboo ready to go, because as we all know, I have KADD (Knitter's Attention Deficit Disorder), and can't be limited to just one project. Plus, there's always that hope that I will warp the Time-Space Continuum, and whip off 2 full socks, and still have flight time left, and THEN WHAT WOULD I DO? The Need Factor for a back up project is there.
That's just what's going in the carry on. (Well, the Black Watch isn't, but anyway). I'm still deciding what goes in the checked bag. I'm thinking some Fleece Artist Silk/Kid in a beautiful red/pink, as well as some other worsted for handwarmers, and an extra ball of sock yarn. And beads on fine thread. (You know, in case that Time-Space thing happens...)
I've got the knitting planned, now I must see about clothes and such...

5 comments:

Needles said...

Pair of jeans pretty much takes care of that doesn't it. And a sweater.

Leaves more room for yarn. Have a great trip.

Carol said...

The kknitting is what keeps you sane when travelling and visiting family. Of course it gets top billing. Just jam some undies, a pair of pants and a t shirt or 2 and you are set to go! Have fun! Party! And so on.....

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful holiday - hope you come back rested and raring to go. But drive carefuly tomorrow; the Weather Network says we are going to get hammered. Like way hammered. Like 25-30 cm...
Nancy
P.S. I love the line above your "About Me" section - it says "Code corrupted. Insert fresh copy." It's probably not a good thing - but it does conjure up some wonderful images...

TracyKM said...

Our recent flight to Miami was at 6:30 AM. We were there at the 'right' time, but they didn't open security until 4:30AM, by then there was a BIG line. My bag got riffled, but my metal dpn caused no questions. I barely knit on the trip though; I hope you get more done than I did! Enjoy yourself most of all!

Anonymous said...

I live with a kilt owner, sporran (that what it is?) and all. Haven't made him any kilt hose yet though. The Beau's family is from the Douglas clan, whatever that is. Some kind of green plaid. They're all plaids to this Italian girl.