Thursday, November 15, 2007

Holiday light etiquette - lets discuss...

First off - yesterday's post was a JOKE! I feel the need to explain this to the people that felt the need to leave me a private email instead of a public comment. I am not mad at Stephanie. I like Stephanie. She's been to my house for dinner, we are friends. She makes me buy things (good things, Sheepstrings...) And now she's making me knit things because she shows how beautif ul these things can be. And yes, I still read her blog every day, and her books are still in the place of reading honour in my house - the bathrooms.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...
what is the etiquette of when to put up Holiday lights? As a kid, my Dad always put them up around the second week of December - Epiphany (Janaury 6th) was important to my Mom, so we kept them on until then, but they didn't go up until around December 10th or so. Which is kind of what my husband and I do. Early-mid December and we stop lighting them around New Years. Seems to make sense to me, but maybe I'm warped.
There are at least 10 houses around my neighbourhood already lit up. We're talking about November 10th, when I saw the first one! I'm thinking that sort of dilutes the excitement of the season when you drag it on for almost 2 months, wouldn't you think?

Hubby and I are also in conflict on the type of lights - I'm the single colour, sort of laid back type of decorating. Hubby likes colour and flash that would make a Las Vegas Hotelier weep with envy. But this year, his flashing ribbon multicolour lights have bit the dust. And I was given the task of replacing them. I think I hit the happy medium. LED (because, d'uh, why wouldn't you - better energy use, brighter colours and all that), single strand (my liking) BUT, they change colour from red to green, so it satisfys his need for some flash. I also have some twinkle lights (again, LED) for our crabapple tree near the deck, so he gets that extra flash of colour.

I'm not a Scrooge, I'm really the farthest thing from it. I love Christmas, especially since our son came along - I love giving hand knit gifts, and that something special that no one is expecting. This year, Hubby is getting Guitar Hero 3 - he mentioned a few weeks ago that he played it with some of our Godkids out in Calgary, and how absolutely cool it is. Well. That sealed it - he's getting it. What else do I get him? We don't need a lot of stuff. And when we need it, we go and get it. So Christmas is really to give something that we normally wouldn't get for ourselves. I'm kinda looking forward to some riffs myself...

4 comments:

deirdre said...

SO glad someone else is not overly pleased with the early light displays - I am a first-week-of-December kind of gal myself, and yes, I know it would easier on my hands to put them up when it's warmer, but it just seems to suck the magic out for me...

I am also a single strand, white light person, but caved last year and got the red to green LED's at the request of my sons for some smaller bushes, and you know, they're not half bad... for a few weeks IN DECEMBER, I can handle them... I haven't even raked all of my leaves, for Pete's sake, I can't be decorating for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Santa was out at our local mall November 1st!! That's just way too early. Usually they wait until after Thanksgiving, which is next week.

Saren Johnson said...

Christmas lights go up at our house Thanksgiving (American) Weekend. Christmas music is allowed to play after December 1st. Grilltech likes solid colors, but not all the same. We have blue for the deck, green for the roof, purple for the garage. I can't remember where the red goes.

I put Selbuvotter on my list because of you. Does that mean I need to stop reading you? : )

TracyKM said...

I really think the lights should stay off (who cares when they go up) until at least Remberance Day.
In an online parenting group we're discussing Santa. A lot of the moms won't 'do' Santa, and tell their kids that other parents are lieing to their kids. Talk about a heated discussion!