Monday, November 12, 2007

channeling...

When I was younger, living at home, and I got pissed about something, my Dad always told me the channel my anger into something productive.

Can you tell how mad I was on Friday?

Clockwise from the top centre - Striped slippers (pre felting) made of Soy Wool Stripes from Patons. Dark Blue slippers (pre felting) made from Gjestal Naturgarn. Beaded wristers (1 was done, I finished up the second). Green leg warmers.

(before you think I was really THAT angry, the slippers and the leg warmers were mostly done on the knitting machine). I also washed all the sheets and towels, and hung them outside for awhile to get them nice and fresh, cleaned 2 bathrooms, and organized a few cabinets in my kitchen. On top of my normal weekend stuff...

What gave me the need to channel my anger? My HR department. In the past month while I have had the illness that won't go away, I have taken 2 sick days. (My doctor recommended much more, but I was somewhat functional, so I came in to work). Last week, I sent in the form for the most recent, requesting it as an unpaid sick day. (I've used up my allotment of 4 sick/personal days already) Friday I get an email from HR stating that no, these are not unpaid sick days, they have been taken off my vacation allotment, meaning that I have 3 days left of vacation. "PLEASE ABIDE BY THIS" was capitalized on the email. Right. She has conveniently forgotten that I am off in a couple of weeks to Florida for a family vacation. That can't be changed. Correction - that WON'T be changed. I sent back a lovely little note, apologizing profusely at the oversight, but that I WILL be away for 5 days, and whatever is decided, I will ABIDE by. (i.e., I expect to get a written warning.) This is such crap. If HR spent less time policing the people that already work here, and more time finding people to fill the numerous vacancies, maybe there wouldn't be such turnover. (Have I told you that we have had more than 10 receptionists in the last 2 years? And that for the past 2 months, we haven't even had one? We've all been taking turns helping out at the front.)

So I channeled all that into to above. And by Sunday night, I felt much better. I still can't stand her and her policies, but then again, I don't work in HR so maybe I'm just being a pain. I don't know. What I find funny is that if I get 2 written warnings about absenteeism, I get penalized by... wait for it... 3 days off without pay. I'm thinking I should take another couple of days off, and add the three suspension days for a week off. What do you think?

All this just weeks after getting a "Substantially Above Target" rating on my employee evaluation. I get nailed because my priority is my family. Whose priorities are screwed up here...

5 comments:

TracyKM said...

On our cruise at our dinner table, there were two young friends travelling together (with one of their's 12 year old son along). The childless one was more 'refined' and we guessed her occupation as lawyer or something cutting edge. She said at one point that for years she thought the company would fall apart without her. Finally we asked what she did....she was 'in HR' LOL.

Cindy G said...

Go for the suspension! Seriously, I was under the impression that Canadian policies were much more sensible than our US ones, but this makes me wonder.
Anyway, hope you have a great trip (and thanks for the offer to pick up SISU, I'll definitely keep that in mind.)

Anonymous said...

Your employer's practices sound so much like my Former employer's ways! If I didn't know better I would think you were employed at the same hellish place I worked at for 10 years. I'm glad you are able to channel your anger into productivity. Much better than the nervous breakdown I went through ;-(

deirdre said...

What an unhealthy place to be!! I am so glad for you that you've got a productive, enjoyable outlet... and if it were me, I would probably be going for a suspension...not trying to be a bad influence or anything...

Carol said...

Screw it. Take what time you need for illness etc. Take your booked vacation time. Granted, you won't get PAID for the "extra" time off, but, if they are reallyt his stupid, then so be it. Besides, if I understand the employment act correctly, you need 3 warnings before they can even consider firing you. Call the labour board just for kicks and find out what they can do. and what YOU could do...My hubby tells me that he once had a great time at a hellish job by TRYING to get fired. He still wound up having to quit!