Tuesday, July 10, 2007

yum...

I love yarn. I tell you this in case you didn't realize that about me. I especially love wool and all other natural fibres. But best of all, is getting free wool! Well, technically, not free, because there is trade yarn on it's way to LuckyCanuck, but still, it feels like free yarn.

This was waiting for me when I got home last night. 12 balls of Australian Merino Lamé. It's a super soft grey merino with a thread of silver running through it. This is beautiful stuff. Lucky and I were discussing it - she had no use for it, and I was smitten by it. Easy decision - she sent it to me where she knew it would (eventually) be made into something useful. (I'm thinking a Leaf Lace Shawl). Lucky - would you believe I sent your stuff yesterday, just hours before getting your note? I know you'll love the Shelridge sock yarn, but really, I have tons of the blue Harris Tweed - I'll save it for you, and send it off! That way, I know it will be used and loved.

Work note. A friend of mine here quit yesterday, and let HR know in no uncertain terms exactly why she is quitting. She does not have another job, but could not handle the issues that were going on around here. Being told (in an open area) that she deserved to be fired over a mistake that was made (which she had discovered and fixed) was her final straw. I highly doubt any changes will be made regarding this, but we do have a full staff meeting on Friday - I wonder if it will be addressed. I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, glad it arrived!! You have probably noticed that each one needs serious re-winding. Hate those balls that are wound like that, everything just slips off messily.

Your staff meeting may be interesting. Or - it may be a subject that is pointedly ignored, which will probably only increase how much people notice what happened.

Janis said...

I have some of that Australian Merino in a really pretty blue/grey/navy combo. So soft, it doesn't even feel like wool at all. I found it in New Jersey, which has been a source of amazing yarn for me. It's the first place I found Koigu, oddly enough.

And I love swapping. It's totally like free yarn, I know exactly what you mean. I've been swapping yarn for fibre lately too, which is sort of counter-productive in a way, because there's an additional step until it becomes yarn but still. Love.

Re: your comment in my blog today. I've already had two friends see the new HP movie (lucky midnight screening folks), and they both said it was better than the book. A more empathetic Harry, apparently, which was one of my major gripes with the book. Just a more concise story all around. I was only sort of excited for it before, but now? Totally excited.

And guild meetings, I'm writing it on ALL my calenders for next month. I always forget until it's too late and I'm checking blogs the next morning and blah blah blah, next time, I SWEAR. May the knitting gods strike me down.