Monday, July 09, 2007

one more week...

before we are on vacation. If I can just get through these next five days... I have enough work to keep me very busy this week, so I am hoping to fly under the radar. The owner here has a habit of trying to get me involved in large projects just before I go away. He does this to a lot of people - we think he wants to see if anyone will cancel their vacation to help out. There is one person who does, and he holds her up as a shining example of the perfect employee. She also had no family, and no life that we can discern.

I am planning on avoiding him this week!

Going to the cottage this past weekend was definitely the right decision. There were frozen strawberry-raspberry-peach margaritas:

Yes, there were as yummy as they look. We do have official margarita glasses, but these Magic Bullet ones work just fine. And they are colour coded.

There was knitting done:

I made a couple of bookmarks, in anticipation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows release this month. One if for me - I am a total Harry Potter geek, and one for my 13 year old nephew. I have bought him every Potter book, and will get him this one as well. He begged for them a couple of years ago for Christmas, and I had to get them for him. As a voracious reader myself, I take any opportunity to encourage this in young people. All of his friends were in the midst of Potter-mania, and he had to be as well. I even made him the Gryffindor scarf. I don't believe he has read more than half of the first book, but whatever. He will still get book seven - probably for Christmas, along with the knitted bookmark.

I used crochet cotton, and a 2mm needle. Each took a couple of hours, and a whole lotta starch! But I am impressed with them.

There was also a great deal of sock knitting, but second socks in progress look a lot like first socks, so no pictures. I hope to have the blue denim and brown striped socks done soon, so I can start on some other sock yarns that are calling me.

This is going to be a busy week, what with getting ready to go away for a week. Clothes are easy - some shorts, some t-shirts, some bathing suits, a pair of sweats and a hoodie, and I'm good. But trying to decide how much knitting, and how many books, that's something else. I've started throwing a basket together with all the projects that I want to finish and those that I want to start. It's way more than I can possibly do in a week, but don't we always do that??

Food is another thing - Hubby and Son and I like to eat well, especially when we have the time to put some nice meals together. I'll put the call into the butcher later this week with what we need form him, and then work out all the menu stuff we will need. One would think that since it is a family cottage, and my in-laws have been there for 2 weeks already, there would be a lot of the basics in place. Wrong. They are not really foodies, and are content with a poached egg on toast for dinner some nights, so I tend to bring EVERYTHING we will need. At least we thought ahead and brought the smoker up this past weekend. (Hubby has a charcoal Weber smoker). It's bulky, and getting it there ahead of time saved us a ton of space (more room for wool!!) in the truck. We're going to smoke some ribs, some brisket and some trout fillets. Mmmm, smoked trout...

I'll try to post somewhat regularly this week, when time allows, but will be completely off line next week. (Sorry Nancy!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just have some really good pics to make up for being away all week!!!
(and enjoy your time off. I'm jealous just thinking about it. margaritas... mmm...)
Nancy

Carol said...

Why would a boss do that? Doesn't he realize that a vacation gives you a better attitude for when you get back? Besides, does he take vacations? 'Cause if he does, then why should you cancel yours? And if he doesn't.....he should get a life! Or learn to knit????? Have fun!

Anonymous said...

My dad is like that food-wise up at the cottage during the week. He'll cook himself spaghetti 50 times in a row. All the cupboards have is dried chili peppers and olive oil. No real food appears until my mother shows up.