Monday, July 23, 2007

holiday knitting

Okay, my training was put back a day. This after I sat in there, and when they all started talking about the software, I said that I had no idea what they were talking about. When asked why I hadn't done the required reading, I asked when the reading was provided. "last week" was the answer. I sat quietly until someone realized that I hadn't seen it, and since I was to be the primary user of this new software, maybe they should give me a chance to read up on it. Training delayed until tomorrow...
Of course, since I uploaded these pic last night at home, now I can sneak a quick post in. I will expand upon my vacation a little more in coming days, as I probably won't have much more to talk about...

I knit a lot last week. A lot. I still didn't really dent everything I had brought, but I made some good progress.

I finished the two pairs of socks that I had started. Two more gifts for Christmas!

I started a new scarf with my favourite scarf yarn - Noro Silk garden. I have two scarves in this already - the Harlot scarf, and an Argosy scarf. I may give the Argosy to a SIL that has been coveting it, and keep this Montego Bay one for me. I. love. it. Here it is with under one ball done - there has been another ball's worth or length added since. I will probably use up 2.5 balls, and use the rest for fringe. Did I mention that I love it? I really do.
You've seen parts of this before. I knit very simple fingerless mitts - simply a tube on dpn's, then back and forth for a while to create the thumb hole, then back to rounds. A simple picot bind off. But, since these are for my niece, and she's 13, so she loves the over-the top stuff, I've added a frill of Ovation (kid mohair/silk blend), with a wealth of beads - two roads of crystal beads at the cast on, then a ruffly bind off with a bead on every stitch. I will go into more detail of this project, because I'm thinking of writing up the pattern.
A cotton chenille flower washcloth. I started this a while ago, having one petal done, and the needles and pattern sitting in a bag. I dragged it out, and within a couple of hours, had it done. It's an Interweave Knits pattern (can't remember which issue right now - let me know if you want details...). Surprisingly, the cotton chenille was not a bear to work with - no worming, no straining. And the resultant fabric is quite nice. Wrapped up with a special soap, this could be a really nice gift.
I started a new sock - Socks that Rock, Harlotty colourway (Hi, Stephanie!) Again, more headway has been made on this - about another three inches. I have also decided that it may not be a sock. It fits my hand rather well, and may turn into a mitten. The colourway is really pretty, and would match my green jacket very nicely. Plus, I am planning on getting a new brown coat this year, so mittens it may be. I'm making the pattern up as I go - I've never made a top down mitten. I'm thinking of creating the thumb hole with waste yarn, and knitting the thumb up from there.
Another lace scarf - 50% merino, 50% tussah silk fingering weight, bought from Grand River Yarns, crocus colourway. Pattern included - it's by Sue McFadyen, and very pretty. If it's this nice unblocked, you can imagine how nice it is blocked.
Four more beaded bracelets. Seriously quick knits. The multi-coloured ones are from the kits I bought, the red is one I did using beads that I had. It's more of a pavé look, and really quite pretty.
My favourite knitting time - sitting on the dock at sunset, watching my boys fish. It doesn't get much better than this...
More details about some of these projects to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a grand time up north. Great knits. And that last photo of father and son fishing? I'd say, enter it in the Toronto Star's annual photog contest, wouldn't you?

Carol said...

Well, before you went on vacation, you were waiting for the shoe to drop. It did drop, right after you got back......figures. I love the bracelets and have already looked into the website. After the queue gets a little shorter...

Anonymous said...

You're such a TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm back, she says.
But not for another 3 DAYS!!!!!!!
Sigh...
(Sorry things are so yucky at work still. Think happy knitting thoughts...)
Nancy