Monday, July 30, 2007

up close with the rainbow wrister

Sorry for the severe lack of posts last week - software training sucked the life force out of me. The first day was a mind-numbing overview of the rudimentary basics of Excel. I'm an Analyst - I live and breathe Excel. I quietly asked if I could be excused from this part and come back when it got interesting. Request denied. Thankfully, I had stopped at Tim Hortons for an XL - it got me through... The next three days (yes it was FOUR days), were as useless. But whatever. I smiled, took notes, made comments and played nice.

But I have been knitting! I wanted to show a little more detail on the frilly rainbow hued wristers I am working on. I know my niece would love them as is - a simple tube with a thumb hole and picot edging. (I had her a hat out of this yarn last year - these are made of the leftovers, so she'll have a set).
I wanted more. I've become bead addicted, and seem to be looking for ways to add them to my knitting projects. Since I knit a lot of things for males, I take every female opportunity to add the beads. Since these wristers took so little time and yarn, I felt they needed a little sumthin' sumthin'. Aha! a lone ball of blue Ovation - 75% kid mohair, 25% silk. And the blues matched. I picked up some stitches around the wrist line, knit a couple of rows of beads,
then knit up until it was just to the top of my thumb, increasing a bit for a streamlined cone shape. (I wanted it to cover the thumb while being worn - Canadian winters and exposed thumbs - not a good match). At the top, I did some major increasing, then cast off with beads on every stitch - it gives some nice weight to the top of the frill, and makes the ruffled edge swing quite nicely.

I actually kept notes on this, so I should be able to re-create it for the second one. (one of the downfalls of designing on the fly when you need a second piece). I may write up the pattern as well if there is interest.

Ignore the ladder - I haven't blocked these yet, and this ladder always disappears with blocking. These make me ridiculously happy, and they are not even colours I would wear. I know my niece will love them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, please write up the wristers pattern. They are totally adorable!

Carol said...

ridiculously happy is a good thing. Besides, they look like just the thing to brighten up those dreary winter days. Happy colours!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh....nice!! I swear I'll learn to knit with beads one day. Your stuff is just too tempting.

TracyKM said...

My niece would wear those too. I think I would too! I tried bead knitting once, but I think I have issues with choosing the right beads for the yarn. Tips?