Thursday, July 12, 2007

Double Yum...

I received my package from EarthFaire.com yesterday:
and, up close:
Four knitted beaded bracelet kits. Double Yum indeed! Each kit comes with the metallic thread, the beads (assorted), and clasp. It's seriously easy. You thread the beads on, knit in garter stitch, adding the beads in. I'm addicted to bead knitting, and I think this may be a very cool Christmas gift this year. There may have been some late night bead stringing last night. And perhaps, even some knitting of beads. Just maybe.

This is how I keep myself occupied during Son's soccer games:


It's easier to gauge progress on the striped socks - I get about 5 stripes done during a 1 hour game. Sometimes less, depending on how exciting the game is, or how much socializing with the other parents goes on... I keep both of them with me, because when I get close to a heel, I switch to the other one. I don't want to be setting a heel (that means counting!) while occupied with something else. I'm all about the mindless stockinette during soccer games...

The other parents are used to me by now - most of the women are keeping track of the different projects I bring - they must think I'm the most boring knitter in the world, since all I ever bring is mindless stockinette. Then again, I'm probably the only knitter they have ever seen in the wild, so they may think I'm a genius because of what I can do with sticks and string... Either way, no one has said anything derogatory, which is refreshing when you think back to some of the stories I've had from swimming lessons and basketball. (Ah, the life of a suburban mom...)

ANOTHER person quit yesterday. Just up and left after a behind closed doors conversation. She had been here longer than me, and always seemed so laid back. Definitely the last person I would have pegged for this. Problem is, she knew a lot. And no one else really knows how she did what she did. (Sort of like me). Bigger problem - what she did and what I do are kinda similar. Similar enough that I'm worried they may try to laterally move some of her stuff to me. I. don't. want. it. And I will make that very clear. I already took on another job when the purchaser left. I didn't get any more money, and I have not commented on that. I'm not taking on ANOTHER person's responsibilities. For any amount of money. There's not enough money to make that worthwhile to me. Hubby and I had a discussion about the situation around here. (He is incredulous that this is going on - he has some HR problems with his staff, and it's nothing compared to this. I'm such a good wife - I tell him my problems, so that his work issues seem petty in comparison!) I'm just trying to lay low, and hope nothing happens before I go away. I don't want to get into discussions "about my future here".

Tomorrow's full staff meeting should be very interesting. We will either all get blasted about company loyalty (has happened before), or grilled about how we feel about things here, or it will totally ignored.

3 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

I wish you the best and hope you stick to your guns.

Cindy G said...

Love the way they always give the "company loyalty" talk to the one's who haven't left. Like the preacher chastising folks in the pews about how terrible it is when people don't attend chuch.

The work situation sounds rotten/dysfunctional/sucky. Good luck dealing with it.

Unknown said...

Bead knitting, huh? Have I bent our ear about the magic of a bead spinner? Sandra, I kid you not, it is the toy of all toys. I mean tool. And if you get tired of the bracelets, Swallow Hill Creations
http://www.swallowhillcreations.com/
(a Cdn company!) has some amazing beaded purses and stoles.