Friday, May 25, 2007

well. that's better...

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against pooling - I feel it is going to happen if you use handpainted yarns, and I just happen to adore hand painted yarns.



But this was not good:
This was beyond just pooling. This was a blob of tan on one side of a sock that was striping very nicely in black and white everywhere else. It looked like someone dropped a blob of bleach in one area. And it wasn't moving. It was just staying as a big blob. You couldn't even really call this pooling - it was just blobbing. (Do you get the whole blob thing? It was really blobby.)


So I went down a needle size, and I reduced the stitch count back to my regular count (I had increased by a few stitches to accommodate the fibre blend - less wool = less stretch).


What a difference a small change makes:



Much better. Amazing what such a small change can do...


Even Hubby commented - they are his socks, and he surprisingly takes a interest in their construction - actually I think he was just staking his claim, as two other people showed just a little more interest in them than he was comfortable with. (Men can flirt with me all day long, but no one had better show too much interest in his socks-in-progress, lest I give them away).


A note on the Tofutsies yarn - I love it. It's a touch splitty, and the jury is out on how well it wears, but it has a really nice hand and is fun to knit.


Next week - more completed projects! Really! It's exciting stuff, I know...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to keep the customer happy! I'm glad that it's working out in a more pleasing manner - there's not much worse than knitting on something that you're disliking.

CatBookMom said...

WOW!! What an amazing difference! The new version looks fabulous. LUcky DH, and I do know the ownership instincts a DH can have for a new pair of socks on the needles.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing - you wouldn't even think it was the same yarn. I probably would have thrown it into the back of the closet to be abandoned forever, so kudos to you for having the ability to change the ugly ducking into a swan!

Carol said...

Thanks for hte warning about the Tofutsies..there's some in my stash waiting to be knit up...