Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Fiona Ellis

Last night, The York Region Knitting Guild was graced with a visit from Fiona Ellis, knitwear designer extraordinaire. If you haven't seen Inspired Cable Knits - run, don't walk to your nearest store to pick it up. It will have even the most cable-phobic swooning. (I am SO going to make the Celtic Icon Hoodie!)
On top of being a wonderful designer, Fiona is just a really nice person. We had a ton of laughs, and her presentation of how she gets inspired was, well, inspiring. I loved seeing the pictures from nature and beyond, and how she translated them into cable patterns. It all made so much sense, and really made the patterns come to life.

She also gave us a sneak preview of her new book Inspired Fair Isle Knits - tentatively coming out in October of this year. Fingers crossed there are no shipping "incidents"! I hope she'll be back when it releases...

The other cool thing about Fiona? She went and picked up my raffle prize from the Knitter's Frolic, and brought it with her! When she gave it to me, it was a ziploc bag with a blob of black yarn - no ball band. Since I was driving, I thought it prudent to wait before I checked it out. Once at the Guild, I opened it up, and how bad is this - knew within nanoseconds of touching it, what it was. (I need to get out more...) 2 skeins of Headwater Wools New Zealand Romney lace weight in black!

I have some of this yarn already in sage green, mustardy gold, and rusty red. The black will make a nice compliment to the stash. Thanks, DKC! I'll be back next year!

3 comments:

TracyKM said...

That's what I made my Flower Basket Shawl from. We won't discuss the store...
I missed a talk by Fiona this year. I really regretted it.
OH,and you could have kept your bug to yourself...who knew you could catch things through cyberspace....

Janis said...

I love that particular lace yarn; I have some in rose that I can't find a fitting project for.

And I PROMISE I'll be at the next guild meeting! Promise!

CatBookMom said...

What fun your Guild has! The new yarn looks lovely, so now I have to go check out Headwater Wools and Fiona's cable book. As if I need more of either.... Thanks for the news.