Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Appropriate

So, I'm trying to determine what is appropriate here. On Saturday, my son had his final basketball tournament. As I do through all his games, I was knitting a sock - small, portable, and easy to drop to cheer a great play. (Son sank two free throws, and scored 3 baskets. Youngest kid on the team - allowing myself to gloat, here!)
All the parents on our team know me, and know the knitting - they have been keeping track of the different projects that have appeared over the season.
So Saturday, another parent (I'm assuming parent here - may not have been - there were about 6 adults there associated with this one kid). She leans over to me, and says "Do you really think that's appropriate to do here?"

???

Let me fill in some blanks for you. She was wearing 5 inch wooden wedge heeled sandals (I love me some heels, but not on weekends). To go along with the footwear was a lovely pair of black hot pants, which unfortunately did not manage to cover the curve of the butt cheeks. Over this, a cleavage baring black lace tunic, belted at the hips, and not long enough to cover the hot pants. Enough jewellery to turn Mr. T's head, and to top it off, the crown of platinum hair, bleached so much as to resemble straw. Oh, and enough attitude that she sat with legs stretched straight out, encroaching on the court by a few inches, which she never moved, even after the refs asked her to, as it was a hazard to the kids running down the court.

And I'm "inappropriate"??

My answer to her question was simply, "Yes".

Side note to members of my Guild who also heard the swimming lesson story - yes, I seem to attract all the knitting-hating wackos. If there is a repellent available, please let me know - soccer season starts soon...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

"No" as in "I don't acknowledge you or your own inappropriateness and you better stfu or I'll lose one of my needles up your ass" or "No" you don't think it's appropriate either?

When's the next game? I think that reinforcements are required!!

Sandra said...

Wannietta,
I actually edited - I meant to say YES, I do think it's appropriate. But I wish I had told her to STFU.
Season is over, but thanks fo rthe offer of help!

Janis said...

In my opinion, the only places inappropriate to knit are a) funerals and b) anything with the world "gala" in it. Unless it's a Knitting Gala. Which would be awesome.

When I worked at Lewiscraft, we were allowed to knit when it wasn't busy, so we often found ourselves knitting. A surprising number of people, mostly harried mothers looking for last-minute school project supplies, would say things like "And you're allowed to do this at work?" or, "They PAY you for this? I wish I got to stand around and do nothing." And yes, one "I think that's pretty inappropriate at work."

I think I have a permanent twitch over my eye from that.

Personally, I think it's inappropriate to dress like that woman unless you're doing it ironically, for Halloween, or ... well no, that's it.

Just remind her that your points are sharp.

130sbyThirty said...

ugh. I think I would have made some comment about kids being able to see 'too much of her' for the event.
Some people!

Anonymous said...

You showed WAY more restraint than I would have; I have a problem with my mouth sometimes. Her attire was way out of line for the kids and I probably would have told her that.

CatBookMom said...

That was a massive amount of self-control, girlfriend! Way to go! About the feet on the court? That the refs didn't demand she change her seat to get the obstacle out of the way is an amazing thing.

katrynka said...

I tried to think of a scathing remark for her, but alas it is late and I am tired. Such strange people that we meet sometimes!

TracyKM said...

Hey, I think I saw the same woman come out of our Zehrs at 9:30 on a Friday morning! Platform high heels with animal print, skin tight pants, and a leopard print, skin tight tank top, full makeup and hair do.
I think I would have said something about her definition of what IS appropriate....