Wednesday, May 30, 2007

return from the dark side...

Done.


I went to the dark side, and returned unscathed! And, to be honest, I will go back. It was fun. A little harder on my left wrist (I'm a lefty) than I was expecting, but that's OK. I'm still not incredibly fond of the fabric that crochet creates, and I may save my forays into crochet for things that are a little lacier, but I'm very happy with this. There are some other projects in that magazine that I may go after - we'll see. I have Lucky Canuck to be my crochet pusher - she's good at it, and knows my taste, so I'll trust her recommendations.

Specs - Boteh Scarf form Interweave Crochet - Spring 2007
2 hanks of Shelridge Farms Handpainted Merino - I used virtually all of the two hanks. That final "Half double crochet all the way around" used up what I thought was a fair chunk remaining.
4.5 mm crochet hook.

In knitting news, I am still working on the endless stockinette of the black silk Lutea tank. This silk may be a little heavy for a tank top, but I think it will work out. I'm looking for something that I can wear to work, so I don't want it too clingy.

In other news, I took the day off yesterday to go on a field trip with my son's class. What a hoot! But man! I appreciate the teachers more every time I am surrounded by 22 rowdy kids, all clamouring at once. I'd want stock in Advil if I were an elementary teacher. Most of the kids are just normal level exuberant.But there are always a couple that are above and beyond - we're talking borderline nasty. They don't listen. Thankfully, I didn't have any of them in my group. What killed me was the number of kids that expected me to buy them something in the gift shop, ans were disappointed when I said no. I didn't buy anything for my own child - I didn't think that would have been fair. But, I loved spending the day with my kid, and seeing how he interacts with the others. I'm proud of him - he seems to get along across the board - he was hanging with the guys, horsing around and having fun, and he was very conscious of the girls, and even helped one of them pull her knapsack on the bus, and make sure she got a seat close to him. I hope he's as nice a teen as he is an 8 year old!

2 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Pretty crocheting. Who's it for?

You're son sounds like a nice young man. Keep up the good work, both of you!

Anonymous said...

I really like it! It turned out fantastico! I told ya you'd like it...And I'm sure we'll see a few crocheted things to come yet.