Tuesday, May 08, 2007

knitting, not birds...

I started the Linette tank top I bought at the Knitter's Frolic - from Grand River Yarns, I believe. It's a tank top - with an open lacy pattern, meant to be worn over a cami or something. I love the deep orange-iness of this yarn. It's a rayon-linen blend, and the rayon gives the crisp linen a shine and drapiness. The bottom picture shows how the pattern will open up once blocked.



I know there are people out there wondering why I am knitting this is two pieces, when it's just crying out to be knit in the round to the underarms.

Two reasons. One - since this yarn has no elasticity, and is very drapey, I thought side seams would give it a little bit more stability. And I really don't mind mattress stitch.

Second reason - the pattern. As it stands, its a 6 row repeat, with one of those rows the eyelet row, and one row a purl row. If I were to change it to knitting in the round, there would be TWO purls rows per 6 row repeat. I hate purling. It's mainly this reason that I'm working back and forth.

Since the pattern came with two hanks of yarn, I'm knitting the front and back at the same time, since they are the same until the neck shaping. I'm probably going to change the neck and armhole edging as well - I'm not fond of ribbing on the edgings - I find it to be almost outdated in this type of garment - very 70's. I'm thinking a tight, rolled stockinette edge, or attached i-cord, for a finished look.

And I bought something last night. A magazine. An Interweave magazine. Interweave Crochet. Yes, I used the "C" word. I bought an entire magazine for one pattern. The Boteh Scarf (Google it - the blog pictures are way nicer than the Interweave one). After an extended email discussion with Lucky, I decided to do it. I can crochet, and I can follow directions, and I really love this scarf. I grabbed some of my Shelridge Farms handpaint in sunny yellows and reds and I started it last night and had 5 rows done before I decided that I was using too small a hook (the pattern called for 4mm - I had 3.5mm and 4.5mm. Figures.) I'm starting over with the 4.5mm tonight if I have time (busy night ahead...) I may be headed down a disturbing path...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud! (Sniff...wipes away a tear). Nice patterns in there. It is a very neat scarf. I bought the magazine too and looked closely at the pattern. A little different than I thought it would be but most interesting and a great intro. If you like it enough, it would be good in different yarn weights and excellent for (faster!) Christmas gifts.

Janis said...

Yay for flirtation with crochet! It's a beautiful scarf too, can't wait to see it.